Limit of 350 kb/s download from Win7 or ISP network.

ziscwg

Limp Gawd
I appear to be limited to 350 kbs on any download.

With multiple downloads, that 350 kbs gets divided!!!! WTF

I have tried many different downloads. I even had a buddy in TX running the same version of Win7, download the same file as me at the same time. His hit 1.3 mbs, while mine was still slow at 350 kbs. (his stated speed is a tad higher, but we were testing the feeding server)

I have ATT usverse and have 2.0 mbs down and 1 mbs up.

I am hardwired to the back of my 2wire ATT uverse gateway.

Here are 2 kickers that have me perplexed:
1) When I run from dslreports or other speed tests, I get close to my stated download/uplaod speed.
2) When I do my online backups, I get my close to my stated upload speed.

Any ideas where this 350 kbs limiter is at?

Your speeds are getting lost in translation. If you are paying for 2 MEGABITS down and 1 MEGABIT up. You will only get (2 DIVIDED BY 8) MEGABYTES= .25. Which would equal 250 KILOBYTES, so you, in-fact, are getting more than you pay for if you have said plan. 8 bits are in one byte. aka you need 8mbit internet to approach 1mbyte download. Apps show bytes, speed tests show bits. Bits is how network speed is measured and bytes is how data transfer is measured.

Side note: Uverse plans are 1.5, 3, 6, 12, 18, 24 mbit down, I have no idea where you're getting the 2 from. It sounds like you have the 3mbit service.

Your speeds are getting lost in translation. If you are paying for 2 MEGABITS down and 1 MEGABIT up. You will only get (2 DIVIDED BY 8) MEGABYTES= .25. Which would equal 250 KILOBYTES, so you, in-fact, are getting more than you pay for if you have said plan. 8 bits are in one byte. aka you need 8mbit internet to approach 1mbyte download. Apps show bytes, speed tests show bits. Bits is how network speed is measured and bytes is how data transfer is measured.

Side note: Uverse plans are 1.5, 3, 6, 12, 18, 24 mbit down, I have no idea where you're getting the 2 from. It sounds like you have the 3mbit service.

Thanks, this makes sense now!!!! I wasn't paying attention to whether it was byte or bit in my display. So, 350KB/s is right for me.

Oddly, my backup program, Idrive, displays in bits/sec.

Also, I just talked to my bud in TX and he said, "oh yeah, I forgot. I had to upgrade my speed because I work at home on some days now." :confused:

I got the 2 mb/s from my gateway (2wire) that listed my speed. However, when I checked my ATT uverse acct, it showed "up to 3mb/s."

So....................false alarm............ nothing to see here...............n00b at the controls................................PEBKAC...............................ID10T error...........

Back