Lil Help, 100%CPU usage not folding

darkisz

Weaksauce
Well, I've been pretty quiet here, but I've been folding for a number of monts for the [H]orde and just recently encountered a problem. I thought I'd ask here since I already checed M$'s site and googled some with no luck.

I am running XP Pro SP2 on the system in my sig. I run FAH console (but not as service) and usually close it when I play WOW. Yesterday I got done playing and went to start FAH back up. A few hours later I check and I havent' completed any frames, so I open up the Task Manager. It's showing csrss.exe using about 20% of my cycles and Explorer.exe using the other 80%, no cycles left for folding, hrm... This is the same computer and FAH setup I have been using all along, and I haven't installed much in the past couple of days (except the new WOW patch and addons). I ran a virus scan and a spyware scan and neither found anything.

I expect that a full reinstall is the answer (I'm about due for my 6 month, anyway). But, I'd like to at least have a little understanding of what happened so I can prevent it in the future. Any ideas?

Thanks!

might have something to do with that WMF issue? do you have the latest patches?

AVG? Spywareblaster? etc? etc?

Keep on Folding!! For the [H]orde!!

Check one more time with the latest spyware updates. There is a bug out useing the csrss.exe name. I found the info below by searching Google for csrss.exe.

csrss - csrss.exe - Process Information

Process File: csrss or csrss.exe
Process Name: Microsoft Client/Server Runtime Server Subsystem

Description:
csrss.exe is the main executable for the Microsoft Client/Server Runtime Server Subsystem. This process manages most graphical commands in Windows. This program is important for the stable and secure running of your computer and should not be terminated.

Note: csrss.exe is also process which is registered as the W32.Netsky.AB@mm worm, w32.sober worm, the W32.Webus Trojan, Win32.Ladex.a, W32.Rontokbro.K@mm and more. This virus is distributed via the Internet through e-mail and comes in the form of an e-mail message, in the hopes that you open it’s hostile attachment. The worm has it’s own SMTP engine which means it gathers E-mails from your local computer and re-distributes itself. In worst cases this worm can allow attackers to access your computer, stealing passwords and personal data. It is a registered security risk and should be removed immediately.

I was dl'ing the new MS patch (auto update) when I first noticed that I wasn't folding anymore. I closed FAH, let the patch finish dl'ing and install, then rebooted. As soon as the OS was back up again, I checked task manager and found that csrss.exe and explorer.exe were still using 20/80%. I ran AVG virus scan and MS Antispy beta to no avail. I even started FAH and left it runing all night to see if it would sort itsef out. In the morning, nothing had changed.

darkisz said:
I was dl'ing the new MS patch (auto update) when I first noticed that I wasn't folding anymore. I closed FAH, let the patch finish dl'ing and install, then rebooted. As soon as the OS was back up again, I checked task manager and found that csrss.exe and explorer.exe were still using 20/80%. I ran AVG virus scan and MS Antispy beta to no avail. I even started FAH and left it runing all night to see if it would sort itsef out. In the morning, nothing had changed.
http://housecall.trendmicro.com/
Try running that.

it sounds like you may have gotten a os hook in your system (they rarely pop up in av programs) try downloading spybot search and destroy from downloads.com. switch to advance mode->go to tools->go to system startup and check under winlogon...if there is anything with a full path name...chances are that is your problem (carefull though...some legit programs go in there like ATI and Intel drivers)
good ones are:
wlnotify.dll
crypt32.dll
cryptnet.dll
cscdll.dll
igfxsrvc.dll
sclgntfy.dll

darkisz said:
have you updated the definitions on AVG?

Try this as well.... http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

I hope this is obvious, but you have rebooted the system once this started happening right?

Having windows programs taking up all your cpu time really sounds like virus to me personally.

AtomicMoose said:
^^ having windows is a virus... :p
true dat...windows is like coke in the 70's...everyone is doing it...but they shouldnt :)

Imitation said:
I hope this is obvious, but you have rebooted the system once this started happening right?

Thrice last night, after patch, after virus scan and after spyware scan. Nothing changed...

however

I gave it another shot since you mentioned it and it seems to have worked! System Idle Process @ 99% FTW!

Thanks guys, you rock!

darkisz said:
Thrice last night, after patch, after virus scan and after spyware scan. Nothing changed...

however

I gave it another shot since you mentioned it and it seems to have worked! System Idle Process @ 99% FTW!

Thanks guys, you rock!

LOL, if at first you don't succeed, reboot and try again! Glad you got it back up and running!

lol.. this reminds me of the time I had to format reload someones PC.. used an OEM copy of WinXP and just used their key that was on the side of their box... the phillipino at the activation center number didn't believe me when I told him I didn't get an installation ID at the Activation window. Anyway he just made me keep rebooting the machine... after the eighth or ninth time it finally gave one so I could activate it.

Back