Lets talk about racks

AMD_Gamer

Fully [H]
i would like to start learning about RACK's and patch panels and all that good stuff, i have alot of stuff here such as my ccna lab and my IBM eserver that i could mount into a rack and some patch panels would be cool. i was wondering if such thing as a cheap rack exists and where i should look online maybe what to look for on ebay? or how to find a local deal?

Hard to get racks "cheap"..unless you hit ebay or Craigslist..and look for one within a days drive that you can go and pickup. The "shipping" is what kills you with them....even if you could buy a rack for 10 dollars..the shipping is what gets you..big...heavy.

For basic stuff I recommend a two post relay rack. A good manufacturer is Chatsworth Products. I would check with a local supplier because like others said, the shipping will be killer. Graybar and those kinds of places should have them.
What do you want to know about patch panels?

As far as racks go, your number one priority is making sure that you are getting one with the right dimensions. Depth is the most crucial here...

Its all fairly simple stuff... A patch panel is just like crimping an ethernet cable, but you're punching it down into the panel.

For your server, make sure that you have a proper rack mounting kit. You don't want to mount it and not be able to pull it back out for easy access.

Don't patch panels just screw into the rack?

Patch panels (atleast all the ones I've seen) are mounted on the wall.

All your cat5/6 runs from different rooms are brought back and punched down in the patch panel. Then you connect the corresponding ports on the patch panels to your switches basically connecting connecting it all together.
Your servers are mounted in the rack and are also plugged into your switches.

A picture would really explain this better. :(

Patch panels (atleast all the ones I've seen) are mounted on the wall.

All your cat5/6 runs from different rooms are brought back and punched down in the patch panel. Then you connect the corresponding ports on the patch panels to your switches basically connecting connecting it all together.
Your servers are mounted in the rack and are also plugged into your switches.

A picture would really explain this better. :(

They (Patch Panels) can also be on the racks.

Sorry for the crappy pic but the racks on the left are dedicated only for patch panels: Both data and voice. They are since almost 70% full.

datacenter30.JPG

Patch panels, switches, routers, etc are usually mounted in a Teloco Rack (relay/two post rack) and servers, kvms, etc are mounted in cabinets.

"New" two post racks are cheap, can get for under $150. Cabinets, very expensive. If you want a new cabinet that isn't too expensive, look on ebay and search "Dell 24U" or "HP 22U". They can be found around $500 and some offer "Free" shipping.

To the left are two post racks, then big one kind of in the center is a Dell 4 Post Rack.

Depending where you live to me, I can hook you up with various racks for dirt cheap. I'm located in Michigan.

As for the whole patch panel debate here, you can mount them anywhere. Cabinets, two post racks, wall, etc.

yeah check craiglist for cheap racks

nice dell rack above we have the 24u dells.

but yes patch panels can be mounted anywhere. sometimes in racks, sometimes in wall units, all depends on applications.

Why would I want to use a patch panel in my home network? I understand they can be useful in corporate environments (Data & Voice) but wouldn't it be easier just to put all my cat 5 cables directly into a switch or router? I'm trying to convince myself to get one.

in a home environment not really worth it. all though you can get a cheap patch panel from Home Depot made by Leviton for like 20 bucks. Will be enough for either 4 or 8 ports.

BTW....i like big racks

421294425_d5fd6ec5c5_b.jpg

Why would I want to use a patch panel in my home network? I understand they can be useful in corporate environments (Data & Voice) but wouldn't it be easier just to put all my cat 5 cables directly into a switch or router? I'm trying to convince myself to get one.

You don't need to in a home enviroment, you can just terminate and plug straight into your switch or router.

to learn with, and be badass :D

If you're just wiring up a few PC's at home, then as other have said you can wire right into the switch...

If you're completely re-wiring your home though, you generally install more jacks/wires than you need (always best to have room for expansion, and easier to do it all at once instead of trying to add later)... That's when putting in a patch panel is really worth the investment. Then changes down the road are much easier to manage when you only have to connect a patch cable from your switch into the panel...

In a business environment, there is no excuse to NOT install a patch panel. For your house, or just to mess around with, you really do not need one.

I found my 42u on a CL ad.

$50 bucks was a great deal. It was sold with one side panel :( I'm going to be finding a panel as soon as I can, but for now its ok...

42u04xt1.png

in a home environment not really worth it. all though you can get a cheap patch panel from Home Depot made by Leviton for like 20 bucks. Will be enough for either 4 or 8 ports.

BTW....i like big racks

421294425_d5fd6ec5c5_b.jpg

more pics of her?

i typed in big rack on google images lol =)

imagebeaver.com will help you out =)

LOL Marley!

I'll take those over an APC NetShelter any day (or night) of the week! :D
Looks like more fun to "reach around the back to plugin cables" too!

Back