• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Let's end the RAID-0 debate

To test the OS loading times you could get Windows to the point where you select a normal startup. Press F8 until it asks you if you would like to boot into safe mode or normal mode. Press enter on the normal mode at the same time you press start on your stopwatch.
I agree with this because boot times are going to increase due to the controller having to detect all of the drives at boot.
 
Maybe Linux has sheltered me, you know, rock solid, not having to reboot etc. :) But doesn't almost everyone leave their PCs on 24-7? I haven't rebooted any of my core PCs in months. Is boot time really important?
 
longblock454 said:
Is boot time really important?
Not to me, although I usually turn mine off when I'm not using it - electricity isn't free.
 
valkon said:
To test the OS loading times you could get Windows to the point where you select a normal startup. Press F8 until it asks you if you would like to boot into safe mode or normal mode. Press enter on the normal mode at the same time you press start on your stopwatch.

Not that there is going to be that much of a difference in Windows loading times. It really depends on what you have in startup and what has been loaded. I am willing to bet that the average time for all your Windows loading tests will be the same.
So it depends what we want to test. Honestly, I reboot about 3 times per week on average, so I could care less about boot time.
 
longblock454 said:
Maybe Linux has sheltered me, you know, rock solid, not having to reboot etc. :) But doesn't almost everyone leave their PCs on 24-7? I haven't rebooted any of my core PCs in months. Is boot time really important?
Not really - but it is a benchmark, and it shows how the drives perform with nothing in the buffer ;)

 
I've used HD Tach and tested a single Maxtor 120GB SATA against two of the same drive in RAID-0 (ASUS M2N-E on-board SATA RAID). Both sequential read rate and burst speed were noticeably higher on the stripe. That's as basic a test as you can do.
 
I've used HD Tach and tested a single Maxtor 120GB SATA against two of the same drive in RAID-0 (ASUS M2N-E on-board SATA RAID). Both sequential read rate and burst speed were noticeably higher on the stripe. That's as basic a test as you can do.
From what I understand the OP was motivated to go beyond the HDTach results, because some people regard them as:
5) Please *do* HDTach, but don't post it. It simply is not a good benchmark, and it shouldn't be posted in the same thread with the rest of the tests.

I think that HDTach has its uses. However, I am under the impression that for a "gaming desktop workload" one has to look beyond the cited STR figures. There may be a formula that can be applied to STR, Burst and Access time that will yield a good approximation of "gaming desktop performance", but I do not know this formula.
 
Back
Top