Lenovo to Sell $199 PC In China

HardOCP News

[H] News
Dang, how come they get all the good deals?

Lenovo's announcement follows rival Dell Inc.'s bid to boost its presence in China's booming market with the unveiling in March of a low-cost personal computer meant for novice Chinese users.

So wheres our $199 pc?

I don't see this as a good move, they are taking a very good name and pushing it as budget... well I guess it started going down ever since Lenovo took over.

Lol I can assure you that if you have ever been to a Chinese computer store you will not be saying "how come they get all the good deals?"

"Good deal" is debatable. Especially given the target audience:
"Our focus is to get down to the rural market," said company spokesman Jay Chen.
The new PC goes on sale later this year at prices of 1,499 to 2,999 yuan ($199-$399)
Some 800 million people live in China's countryside, where incomes average about 4,200 yuan ($560) a year

So, the target audience would have to spend 1/3 to 3/4 of their yearly budget to get a computer? How many of those country dwellers even NEED a computer? This will get swallowed up by the city dwellers, methinks. Besides, there's no mention of what's in it. Make, ship, and market for only $200 a unit? That's a pretty shady rig, by most standards.

"Good deal" is debatable. Especially given the target audience:

So, the target audience would have to spend 1/3 to 3/4 of their yearly budget to get a computer? How many of those country dwellers even NEED a computer? This will get swallowed up by the city dwellers, methinks. Besides, there's no mention of what's in it. Make, ship, and market for only $200 a unit? That's a pretty shady rig, by most standards.

I agree. These country dwellers will probably be the ones to snatch up cheap used machines that others are throwing away.

If the average income here is $56,000 a year, thats like somone selling you a $19,900 to $39,900 computer that can do rats basics.

So basically we are not poor enough for a cheap pc. We have to continually get butt raped by mega corporations.

Not really, its not like they are getting the uber machine for $199.

well taht definately fits in my budget. but $199 laptops must not be all that great.

So wheres our $199 pc?

I don't see this as a good move, they are taking a very good name and pushing it as budget... well I guess it started going down ever since Lenovo took over.

Well we are getting the Asus Eee PC sometime soon. I agree with you that a $200 Thinkpad doesn't exactly seem right. I want IBM back in power! :eek:

Back