Lenovo Thinkpad X300 - Oh Hell Yes

computerpro3

LightningRod
2267336596_763c14e2dd_b.jpg

This will be my laptop the day it is released, which should be Feb 26th according to the rumors.

Display: 13.3" widescreen WXGA+ (1440 x 900) display, LED backlit
Processor Chipset: Intel Santa Rosa (either 1.2ghz or 2ghz, no one knows yet)
Storage: 64GB SSD
Wireless: Bluetooth, 802.11 a/b/g/n, Wireless USB, WWAN, WiMax, GPS
Optical Drive: Ultrathin DVD Burner (7mm)
Memory: up to 4G
Dimensions: 12.5 in (width) 9 in (depth) x 0.73 in - 0.92 in (thickness)
Ports: 3 USB ports, Mic in, Headphone out, VGA Adapter, built-in web camera, stereo speakers
Input: ThinkPad keyboard with TrackPoint, touchpadBattery: 3-cell Lithium-Polymer
Weight: 2.9lbs-3.3lbs

Here's a businessweek article about it: http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/08_08/b4072042350389.htm

Here's some pics taken apart

http://forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.php?t=57395

That SSD is a new high performance model from samsung that gets 100mbs write speeds and 130mb/s read speeds. I'm going to grab a 32gb CF card and run it in a pc card adapter so I will have about 100gb of pure solid state storage.

I get employee pricing, so I wonder what my discount will be?

This is quite literally the perfect laptop.

The best thing about this for me is that it might drive down the prices of the X60 and X61 on eBay. The X300 is very cool, no doubt, but it's be far too expensive for me.

I wish IBM / Lenovo laptops were better looking, They have looked the same since the late 90's

I think they are far and away the best looking laptops out there. Instead of saying "I'm a 1337 gangsta wit my chrome and aluminum laptop) it says "I walk quietly but carry a massive stick" so to speak.

Anyone that knows tech gives you automatic respect if they see you with a thinkpad. The x300 may not get as many stares as the macbook air, but it will bitchslap it's performance into oblivion (the SSD is over twice as fast as the SSD in the air). I realize it's personal preference, but I love the black monolithic look.

I don't care if the X300 looks, feels and "performs" like Pam Anderson. $3000 is way too much for a laptop. Hope you get a helluva discount, computerpro!

I've owned several Thinkpads (T41, X40, T61p). All were excellent machines but weren't anything special to look at. Of course, a laptop's appearance is the last thing that matters to me.

Ah, there's your problem. This one looks, feels, and performs like Jessica Alba!

how's 65% of list price plus coupons sound?

And as a side benefit, you can't copulate with the Air. The thinkpad, on the other hand, has a slot for a dvd drive....kind of narrow though.

Let's see.

I don't need the power of my DV9000. There's maybe $1000.

This has most of the power of my T60. W/ accessories, maybe $1500, maybe more since it still has warranty.

SSD means no need for my 200gb 7200rpm, 250gb, or 320gb 5400rpm drives. That's what, $400?

Plus, a small laptop like this would eliminate need for an EEE. $550 there (after upgrades).

That'll pay for an X300, won't it?

That & 4gb of RAM, and I'll be set.

I wish IBM / Lenovo laptops were better looking, They have looked the same since the late 90's
And as far as I'm concerned, they've been the best-looking laptops since the late 90s. Most of the business world would agree.

I must add, that they are one of the sturdiest laptops as well. I bought an acer (yeah i know) for a while and took it back because it wasn't sturdy at all. Then I got a T61 and love it.

Thinkpads are sweet. I have an old X30 and its seriously built like a tank. This new X300 looks fantastic, but again its a lot of money. I hope Lenovo can keep the quality up.

Ah, there's your problem. This one looks, feels, and performs like Jessica Alba!

how's 65% of list price plus coupons sound?

And as a side benefit, you can't copulate with the Air. The thinkpad, on the other hand, has a slot for a dvd drive....kind of narrow though.
65% off would be very tempting, indeed. As for the "copulate with the Air" comment, brother you need a girlfriend... or at least 24 hours in Vegas!! :p

Business world = cubicles, staff meetings, bored to death

:D

I still have a 133mhz thinkpad (760ed if i remember correctly) that was top of the line in its day,and it still works fine (minus the battery). IBM does make quality laptops, i just like pretty shiny things (AKA macbook pro / air & acer.)

I just prefer having a laptop that is a little flashy (even though it might get me mugged some day ;) )

Yeah I have a T61p and I think I'll go flasher next time. Like a Dell XPS M1530, plus it has hdmi and the thinkpad only has VGA. MBP would be nice but I can't justify the extra price for a similar machine.

I like the X300 though from a specs point of view. Can't beat a optical drive, 3 usb ports, and decent resolution. To me the Air is just too useless.

I dunno what you guys are on about with flashy laptops. Thinkpads are badass. It's like driving a big black Suburban with tinted windows and a brush guard versus driving a bright orange Honda with a loud muffler. Sure, one will get you noticed faster, but the other one's going to get you respect.

Think:

versus

and you get the picture. Note also that the Honda's filename is "phat ass euro," and you get part of the idea of why I like to keep away from shiny flashy things.

Of course, it's not only with computers that I have such tastes, so I guess I'm the weird one here. I sort of like everything I own to look like the monolith from 2001: A Space Odyssey.

IBMs are great computers, and I agree that they are some of the best looking computers on the market, obviously this is a personal preference but the same things that make the IBM a good looking machine, are found in the mac as well. It's the beauty of simplicity, I wouldn't call a macbook pro flashy by any means, but it's exactly that simple look that makes it look so good and draw attention.

PS. that suburban vs honda thing was just retarded lol.

nice computer, appeals to a certain market, too expensive for most people, looks better than the air because it's got optical drive, and I'm sure it's built like a tank instead of a manila envelope.

It's like the Air, except actually good. Still too expensive for my tastes though, although the fact that it has 3 USB ports, an optical drive, and an ethernet jack actually make this a great ultraportable. It would be even better if they had a model without the SSD to bring the price to $2K or less though.

I just hope it really goes on sale on the 26th and that it doesn't take ten years to ship out.

I'd be great if I could have it in hand before spring break so I would have a computer when I travel.

Id rather drop a 64GB SSD into my M1330 and call it a day. More power, more speed, just as much battery...only slightly heavier (seriously, a whole 16 oz difference isn't huge)...

but it does look to be a nice machine. No denying that.

It is very nice. I like seeing more features than a macbook air. Also Thinkpad touchpads are unmatched, they have the best response and accuracy of any touchpad out there. Most noobs won't notice. But if you're a real fan of Thinkpad you'll know what I'm talking about.

It is very nice. I like seeing more features than a macbook air. Also Thinkpad touchpads are unmatched, they have the best response and accuracy of any touchpad out there. Most noobs won't notice. But if you're a real fan of Thinkpad you'll know what I'm talking about.

the touchpad on a dell D630 might impress you.

i like it more than the one on a T61 i had.

I've been waiting for this for a long, long time. I'm planning on a new laptop purchase sometime around the beginning of the summer, so I hope the price drops some between now and then. A widescreen ThinkPad = a dream come true.

Our company should be meeting with IBM at HIMMS this week down in florida. We may be doing a huge deal with them so my father is going to see if they will throw us a couple of X300's to make the deal go down smoother. If this actually happens, I will be thrilled beyond belief.....

X300 looks awesome. The only way I'd buy it is if I also got 65% off list :eek:

Real Thinkpad fans use the trackpoint :p

Whats the battery life on this thing going to be like?? I'm stuck between buying an M1330 or X60..I was leaning more towards the X60 because of the battery life, but really liked the slot load on the dell along with the wide and LED screen.

It looks like the x300 is going to have it all at double the price. But i'll have a solid ultraportable, laptop for years to come.

Trackpoint?!?!?!?!?!? NO NO... EVIL EVIL!!!! Me HATES trackpoints!! That's the only reason I couldn't hang on to my X40. Show me a 12" ultraportable that's built like a Thinkpad BUT has a trackpad, and I'm there... as long as it's not $3000!

Actually the track point / stick on the thinkpads are also very responsive. When you move it across the screen and then stop, the cursor actually stops. ... its more accurate. Other laptops have shitty sticks. Knob, nipple, whatever you call it.

Looks awesome. Lenovo's retail prices are always way more than what it ends up being on their site or after a deal or education discount.

They use the Trackpoint AND trackpad, so you get the option. Love it on my T61

The X300 is pretty much perfect IMO, as my main complaint with all other 13.3" laptops is the low screen resolution. If the screens are reported to be OK by the initial buyers and the final price direct from Lenovo isn't too high, I may just have to pick one up :D

Trackpoint?!?!?!?!?!? NO NO... EVIL EVIL!!!! Me HATES trackpoints!! That's the only reason I couldn't hang on to my X40. Show me a 12" ultraportable that's built like a Thinkpad BUT has a trackpad, and I'm there... as long as it's not $3000!

I can't use touchpads anymore after living with a trackpoint for the last year and a half. It's so much more comfortable than using a touchpad. You don't have to move your hands at all to operate the mouse, scrolling is as easy as moving your thumb and index finger, and you never accidentally click with the touchpad. Trackpoint "eff tee doubleyou."

I'm going to buy one. Regardless of cost.

Coming from the owner of:

ibm 240x
ibm 701
ibm t23
ibm t30
ibm a31
ibm a31p
lenovo t61p
lenovo r61e
lenovo x61 tablet

I love the look of thinkpads; It's not flashy, gaudy, crap. They've also been quite durable for me (even more so than an old toughbook), and they're worth it.

^ You suck :p

I think they are far and away the best looking laptops out there. Instead of saying "I'm a 1337 gangsta wit my chrome and aluminum laptop) it says "I walk quietly but carry a massive stick" so to speak.

Anyone that knows tech gives you automatic respect if they see you with a thinkpad. The x300 may not get as many stares as the macbook air, but it will bitchslap it's performance into oblivion (the SSD is over twice as fast as the SSD in the air). I realize it's personal preference, but I love the black monolithic look.

You speaketh the truth. Also the exact reason I bought my Dell Vostro instead of the Inspiron line. Also, I would have bought a Thinkpad in a heartbeat over the Dell had I had the available funds for it.

I must add, that they are one of the sturdiest laptops as well. I bought an acer (yeah i know) for a while and took it back because it wasn't sturdy at all. Then I got a T61 and love it.

Also 100% truth. While in Eng. school we had school provided thinkpads, we had T42's (current class has t61p's, bastards :p) And they were built like tanks. I once stepped on my friends, while it was on the floor in his schoolbag... I'm not light, 250lbs, and it didn't so much as scratch it, much less break it.

Win. Trackpoints FTW! Trackpads FTL!

Four more days until I click the order button! Two more days until the meeting when I find out if I get one for free or not..

I just hope it really goes on sale on the 26th and that it doesn't take ten years to ship out.

I'd be great if I could have it in hand before spring break so I would have a computer when I travel.

Since you mentioned going on spring break, I can only assume you're in college. So is this company you mentioned a one your father work for, thus providing you with the discount?

Since you mentioned going on spring break, I can only assume you're in college. So is this company you mentioned a one your father work for, thus providing you with the discount?

We both work for it - it is a corporation that my father and a partner founded about 10 years ago in the medical imaging business. I worked for them all throughout high school and still do during breaks and in the summer.

I don't know if I'm going to get a discount, if anything happens it's more likely to be free as a favor from our guy at IBM. It's entirely possible he can't get one though - I won't know till a couple of more days. Of course, if the deal hits some kind of snag and doesn't go through, it's a definite no. I wish I wasn't stuck at school so I could be at the tradeshow....

As for the 65% of list price I mentioned, I have a friend who has a low level job at IBM and gets the employee pricing program. The only thing is I'm not sure if the 65% of list price will be applied to the X300 immediately after release.

Worst case scenario, I wait a couple of weeks and get a $3000 laptop for $1800...

Back