left/right channels getting inverted?

Dew itt right

2[H]4U
Joined
Oct 28, 2005
Messages
3,314
I'm using onboard sound (system in the sig) and my MB has optical, SPDIF, and headphone jacks. My speaker sub has optical, SPDIF, and component jacks. If I hook them up using either the optical or SPDIF jacks, my left and right channels get inverted. However, If I use the headphone jack and component inputs, it works fine. Is there any way to know if it's the MB or the speaker's problem? For some reason it only on inverts on the digital connectors. Unfortunately I don't have any other speaker sets or PC to test with. Any help is appreciated...
 
The problem is that these speakers have a remote volume knob with a headphone jack. The majority of the time I'm gaming I'm using the headphones and they also get inverted (a problem that won't be fixed by switching the speakers). My headphone cord isn't long enough to connect to the the back of the PC and I really don't want to have to use an extension cord and have another idle connector cluttering the desk. I guess i was just hoping this is something that's been encountered before...
 
You could switch your headphones! :D

It's a strange problem indeed. Have you double-checked all connections, specifically the satellite speakers? How do you know they're inverted? Are you testing the channels through Windows?
 
It's a known problem with the S330D's. I went through two sets and both had the same reversed SPDIF input. People said it's not a problem, but who knows what else is screwed up in there as well? If you have a decent soundcard (X-Fi or newer CMI chip) then your analog DAC is about the same.
 
Unfortunately, the headphones don't fit backwards. I don't have the site handy but i found a website that had links for testing speaker channels. Click on the left side and a voice would come from the right speaker saying "This is the left channel". In every case, analog or digital, the headphones mimicked the satellite speakers so I know they're hooked up correctly. And ovcourse I've double-checked the leads anyway.

I'm glad I'm not the only one with this problem. They're an expensive set of speakers to have a common issue like that. Frankly, I bought them for their looks so I'll just deal with using the analog inputs. Unfortunately, all of the slots in my MB are used up so I have no room for a sound card. Onboard analog will just have to suffice.

Is there any utility that can invert the channels on the signal that goes out to the speakers?
 
Back
Top