LEDS on fans

Destonomos

[H]ard|Gawd
I've got 2 led fans in my case that is currently 4 years old. I was looking at the sad state my case is in. For some reason the Temp LCD in the front doesn't work at all anymore and the power and reset buttons do not light up either. That doesn't really bother me thought. What bothers me is my LED fan in the rear of the case use to have 4 BRIGHT blue LED in it and 3 have gone out and 1 is still on but not fully lit and is barley on at all. Then last week the side fan which also has 4 blue LEDs in worked up until one went out. 3 of the LEDs are fully lit and one isn't on at all.

Here is my question. Is it ok to simply cut the wire to the LEDs to make them not light up or is there a safer solution to what I want to do (I just don't want the LEDs on at all anymore. I moved past the "blink light phase" in my computer building and think the bright lights and windows in computers are tacky now. The fans still run and work perfectly but the LEDs are the problem right now. I don't want to trash them because I am wanting to save some money and put the side fan in the back so I have 2 80mm fans back there and I have another 80mm fan I'm going to put in the side.

Sure, you should have no problem if you cut the wires to the LEDs. Make sure they're not the same wires as the ones going to the fan itself, though. This sounds like a classic case of overdriven LEDs burning out...

the LED fans are plugged into this little "chip" that when I bought the case was glued to the bottom of the case. It will let 4 or 5 fans hook up to it and has a cable from the front of the case that plugs into it and thats how the screen at the front reads the temp and it has a nob to change the fan speed to everything plugged into the "chip" I guess I have a psu rail connected to it that is stronger than is needed?

Honestly I haver knew about the rails on a psu when I bought my pc 4 or 5 years ago. I bought it hooked it up and everything worked. I'm running a 7600gt so I've yet to have a graphics card that requires a cable from the psu so I guess up to this point it hasn't been something I've had to look for.

No, it has nothing to do with the PSU rails. Most likely, the manufacturer saved a few cents by not including a current-limiting resistor for those LEDs, or chose one with too little resistance, and so the LEDs burned out.

maybe you guys can help me out with a similar problem
i bought a LED fan crom bestbuy a bit a go and to my surprise it blinks >.< in a few different patterns
and it no were on the package said this there any way to remove or jump the IC that makes it do this so the LEDs are always on?

Is there an IC connected to the LEDs, or are they blinking on their own? If the former, then yes, there's a way to do it. If the latter, nope.

yea it looks like theres an IC of some kind the patterns it does are to complex for it to be the LEDs them selves

In that case, you shouldn't have a problem bypassing the IC. Just follow the guidelines in the LED FAQ.

maybe you guys can help me out with a similar problem
i bought a LED fan crom bestbuy a bit a go and to my surprise it blinks >.< in a few different patterns
and it no were on the package said this there any way to remove or jump the IC that makes it do this so the LEDs are always on?

Actually I bought the same fans, and I kid you not I thought it was my motherboard doing it.
But on the package it says like "LED's glow in 4 different patterns.." or something... It was cool at first.. annoying later.

Back