LEAKED: Lawful Spying on Email Accounts Price Lists

amd_ftw

Weaksauce
i read this slashdot.org posting this morning, originally from wired.com Dec 4th story.

http://cryptome.org is hosting all the .pdfs!

i'm not shocked but i do find their pricing structure excessively greedy.

this is the internet age we live in.

your thoughts?

Last edited:
my privacy, bought and sold for $30.

All things considered, common sense says never use yahoo/gmail/local ISP for private emails anyways

my privacy, bought and sold for $30.

All things considered, common sense says never use yahoo/gmail/local ISP for private emails anyways
Actually, it might be acceptable if you are using further encryption on top of it. GPG, ask for it by name!

But ya, i wonder how long until we see google caught up in something like this.

It never ceases to amaze me that in seeking to keep information quiet these lawyers only ever manage to give the shit press coverage...

Frankly this shouldn't surprise anybody that major corporations have pre-defined processes for handling legal subpoenas. The associated fees are to cover human man-hour costs incurred by the SP's and are not black-market price-tags like everyone's making them about to be.

Everyone loves to put on the tin-hats and start screaming...

Last edited:
Don't use email. Don't talk on the phone. Don't use a computer. Don't write letters. Don't write checks. Don't use a credit card. Tear up your drivers license. Move to a shack in the woods. They already know too much...

your own email address, with your own hosted server

True... But there's costs associated with that. It also sucks when you live in the Midwest and an ice storm or tornado can take out your power for days on end.

Your own setup just isn't worthwhile for home use most of the time...

Another option for what is left is to use mail hosted by someone else and add cryptography to how you deal with mail.

Another option for what is left is to use mail hosted by someone else and add cryptography to how you deal with mail.

Hosting your own, I'd agree, is the best option. It's just from a HA standpoint, it really sucks.

Now, granted, Yahoo and Google and Microsoft, etc have business-level services with contracts (that clearly spell out who owns the data and who doesn't have a right to index it... (the provider)) that are OK. But the generic webmail stuff covered by the general privacy policy is a no no.

Back