LCD/LED Panel Type?

Turbosound

Limp Gawd
Joined
Sep 10, 2011
Messages
178
Does anyone know what type of panles are used for most consumer LCD/LED HD-TV's in stores like Best Buy? From what I understand there are three types of LCD/LED panels, which are TN, VA and IPS. For some reason I can't seem to find any HD-TV's that specify which panel type it is. I would think this is one of the most important specs to look for when purchasing a display, but for some reason none of the manufactures specify it.
 
Yes, one of the eternal annoyances. I think most 32" and above TVs tend to use a panel lottery between *VA and IPS too, making buying the panel type you want even more irritating.

You should be able to identify TN panels pretty easily by the contrast shifting to dark when viewed from below, and lighter from above. I think they mostly end up in TVs under 32", where they can get away with it more. If they do list viewing angles, they're anything that isn't 178/178 for TN.

*VA panels should leave a sort of round circle with an X intersecting it when you gently push on a light area of the screen.. it will smear a bit if you trace your finger.

IPS panels shouldn't leave much of anything with the same technique, a slight smudgeyness around your finger that quickly disappears when not pressing.
 
To give you an idea how many people are interested in the panel type of a TV, just read this tread in the AVForums.com.:)

.
 
I'm looking to replace my 30" Dell 3008 IPS display with a 46" Nec VA display for my PC. I'm nervous though about downgrading to a VA display, so I wanted to know what panel type most 40-50" TV's are to get a better idea. I would like to purchase a 46" IPS LFD (without a tuner and without speakers) but there doesn't seem to be any. Why don't TV manufactures specify the panel type? I don't know how I'm supposed to look for one if they don't specify it.
 
i beleive most of the higher end tvs use ips
Most higher end LCD TV's use a VA panel of some sort, or an offshoot of VA (like Sharp's ASV panel for instance). For picture quality the same rules do not apply between TV's and monitors, with TV's the VA panels are often better (often, but not always, there are always exceptions and preferences). I'm not saying a VA TV would make a better monitor btw, sometimes the opposite is true and an IPS TV makes for a better monitor, it depends on a lot of things, this stuff can get pretty complicated for shoppers.



OP: TV panel information is out there, it just takes some digging. Hit up the AVS forums and plug the different models in their searchbar.

Or if you like, post the exact models here, and maybe we can help you figure it out.

Just remember that you want something with low input lag, figuring that out will be your hardest task. Next would be 4:4:4 chroma subsampling for sharp Red + blue text. The panel type will quickly become a secondary consideration.

Two examples:
The Sony EX720 and Samsung xxD550 have great image quality, have 4:4:4 chroma subsampling for sharp colored text, decently low input lag, and people have started using them as monitors.

And you are always welcome to join our other TV monitor discussion here: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1645885
 
Last edited:
Back
Top