Laws regarding running cat 5e cable...

Konowl

Limp Gawd
Is there any sort of laws I should be aware of when running cat 5e cable in my house (single level dwelling, small in size, one floor)?

I'm located in Ontario, Canada FYI.

Yeah, I'm not overly concerned about them either LOL.... just curious, really.

I intend to run my own power line to create a new wall jack too LOL.

Just make sure you don't run the cat5 over any fluorescent lights, that will cause all sorts of issues with your bits/bytes. I would also suggest avoiding any ductwork, don't want your cables melting in the winter. :D

Some states or cities requires plenum rated cable regardless of the installation situation. Other than that, no other law regarding these runs.

its low voltage so I don't think there are any laws. Just get good CAT5e, solid is best for under floors etc.

I know in NY, if you run any type of cable through a heating/ventilation duct and it causes a fire, your homeowners insurance may not cover it.

You can install however many wall jacks you want just as long as you don't overload your circuit.

Check with the local building inspector.

But in a single dwelling unit regular PVC jacketed cable is probably just fine.

Yeah, I'm not overly concerned about them either LOL.... just curious, really.

I intend to run my own power line to create a new wall jack too LOL.

You need to check locally for all the regulations. Basically, if you use cable that doesn't meet these regulations, and your house burns down. If your insurance company see's these cables, they won't give you any money..... Pretty freak occurance, but it does happen.

Deffo do what Verge said. Insurance companies will default at the slightest chance.

If you want to be safe buy "plenum" cable, its annoying to put ends on it but if it burns it will not emit toxic fumes from the casing.

The laws about running cable are varied from municipality to municipality, county to county, state to state, and sometimes even country to country.

Generally, the accepted practice is to use plenum-rated cable in ceiling cavities, and HVAC conduit. Basically, anywhere that breathable air is being ducted. YOU MUST USE PLENUM CABLE IN THOSE AREAS.

When non-plenum (PVC coated) cable burns, it creates a very toxic smoke that will precipitate hydrochloric acid in a person's lungs when inhaled. When in doubt, use plenum rated cable.

This applies to all categories of unshielded (and shielded) twisted pair cabling.

I put some pointers about cat drops in your other thread...cat6 is great if you can afford it, but 5e will do gigabit.

Back