Late Vista upgrade?

GuiltyDragon

Limp Gawd
I'm running 32bit Windows XP Pro on my gaming rig at the moment, and so far it's served me well. I've been considering upgrading to Windows Vista recently, however, and I wanted to collect some opinions on whether or not I should make the jump now or just hold out for Windows 7. I've tried looking around the internet for opinion, but everything I find is dated from 2007 and is mostly summerised by the words "Vista Sucks".

I'm aware that the OS has come a long way sinse release, so I was looking for current opinions from actual users. Both on whether it's worth upgrading from XP to Vista, and whether it's worth installing the 32bit or 64bit versions for the purpose of gaming. Any opinions or advice would be appriciated.

Current spec is as follows:

Coolermaster eXtreme Power Plus 550W PSU
Gigabyte GA-965G-DS3 Motherboard
Intel Pentium Dual Core E2180 2.0 GHz Processor
XFX Geforce GTX 260 (216) Graphics Card
3 x 1GB KVR800D2N5/1G DDR2 Memory
2 x Seagate ST3200820AS 200GB SATA Hard Drive
Microsoft Windows XP Professional Edition (Spk 3)

Cheers.

Just go straight to Win7RC if you're feeling froggy.

Just skip Vista at this point.

I've been dabbling with Win7 RC recently. Is it feasable to use that as a main OS? Arn't there security/compatability issues that I should be worried about?

You're dealing with Windows, security worries should not be any worse than they already are.

And sure, its a feasable main OS already, use it myself on my main box, laptop, and wife's box. No issues, other than Starcraft color issues :D

I'm using Win7 as my main OS. Aside from a few small quirks, it's been very stable. I wouldn't bother with Vista at this point because Win7 RTM comes out on or before the holidays. The Win7 RC is good until March 2010 before shutting down every two hours, so you could use it until then.

I run 7 as my primary OS but keep in mind some stuff is not going to work with it yet. If you absolutely don't want to have to deal with problems, get Vista but if you're willing to have to do work arounds or take more time than usual in some instances, then 7 is fine. As for performance, on my machine it's virtually identical to Vista. I just like having something new really and don't mind reinstalling my OS when new versions come out.

If you don't plan on upgrading your memory anytime soon then 32 bit is fine (for the sake of compatibility even though most newer things should run/have drivers on 64)

Back