LastPass I'm In Love (Secure Vault for Passwords & Notes)

Blk02

Limp Gawd
Well I just switched to LastPass to manage all of my passwords and secure notes. The program is quite robust and it has far more options than I realized just browsing on their website. The key to using this is to make sure your master password is very strong (upper/lower case letters, numbers, & special characters). I ran into maybe one instance where things did not get auto recorded by the program properly.

When you visit a new website not in the LastPass vault it prompts you to save the site after entering your credentials. If you decide to change the password for a website already in the LastPass vault LastPass prompts you to generate a new secure password using its auto generate tool (you can select the strength of the password, character length, number of numerical values, include/exclude special characters, etc). If you use the secure password generated by LastPass it will auto fill the change password fields on the website. After changing the password LastPass prompts you to confirm the changed password before it updates the login credentials for the website.

Other Features:

1. You can organize your login credentials according to custom folders you create. Then you can expand or collapse the folders to view the credentials in the folders.
  2. There is an individual notes section for each login credential you create so you can store account numbers or other general info associated with the website.
  3. You can access the LastPass vault even if your internet connection is down because all info is stored and encrypted locally before being uploaded to LastPass servers.
  4. Multi-factor authentication using Grid (Free), YubiKey (Premium), or Sesame USB (Premium). Prevents hacker from accessing your account with only your LastPass master password. You can setup computers to be trusted so you don't need to enter the grid key everytime.
  5. Generate a list of equivalent domains useful for sites with multiple URL's that use the same login credentials (Microsoft Live, EA Games, etc).
  6. A separate secure notes section with forms for typical notes or a blank general area. This creates a separate folder for your secure notes.
  7. Ability to enable a onscreen keyboard to type in your LastPass master password to thwart key logging programs.
  8. Restrict mobile devices to specific UUID's (Premium)
  9. URL Rules tab ("If you have multiple logins for a particular domain, LastPass fills in the closest URL match by default but will show all sites from that domain in its matching list. This behavior can be changed to only show sites that match particular hosts/paths.")
  10. Four internal security levels that vary as to prompts for the master password when copying passwords or viewing secure notes inside the vault area.
  11. One time passwords ("If you are using an untrusted public computer and need to access your LastPass data but are hesitant to do so because of potential keyloggers, LastPass provides One Time Passwords (OTPs) as one option for securely accessing your account.") You just setup a list of one time passwords while logged in from a trusted computer that you can use to access your account from a public computer.

Nice try, LastPass employee.

Seriously though, it's a great piece of software. I swear by it with Chrome and Firefox.

Actually, I'm not an employee just an avid fan. I have been looking for a piece of software like this for a while. I am using Chrome with it now and it works great no issues at all. I think you used to have to pay for it, but now they have a free version and a premium version. I have not signed up for the premium version yet. Still reviewing the premium features.

Yup, I've been using it for quite some time now after switching from KeePass... I like it a lot better.

The issue is... what if you have a keylogger on your machine and someone gets your master password? You... are... screwed! Or am I missing something here?!?!?!?

Thats why you would use Grid, YubiKey, or Sesame. You must have a USB key plugged into the computer and your master password to access the vault. The Grid uses a different method. The alternative would be to use the on screen keyboard to enter the master password.

Back