Large Crypto\RSA\Machinekeys folder

mlapgw

Gawd
I noticed my Malwarebytes premium was taking a long time to scan. Upon further inspection it was giving me a message hours into the scan letting me know it had stopped working. I removed the program, rebooted, used a cleaner, rebooted, and reinstalled the program. Same problem.
Turns out it is spending most of it's time scanning and also stopping within the Crypto\RSA\Machinekeys folder.

I checked out the Crtpto folder and found:
Size: 2.73 GB (2,934,236,900 bytes)
Size on Disk: 7.41 GB (7,961,350,144 bytes)
Contains: 1,943,689 Files, 6 Folders

That seems unusually large for a home computer.
I'm nervous about deleting these files since this an area I am unfamiliar with.
Is this in fact much larger than it should be? Can I delete files? Is there some things I should know/do beforehand?

Just googling for "crypto rsa machinekeys" gives a variety of answers that raise questions such as: is your PC a server? Are you running ESET? It seems like the way to get rid of them is to just run Windows Disk Cleanup, but you'll also need to find out why you're getting them.

Thank you, I'll try the Disk Cleanup. My PC is not a server. Yes, I am using ESET.

The second link I posted said disabling SSL scanning in ESET would stop the huge quantity of files: "ESET does a MITM to decrypt SSL traffic so it can scan the contents. It therefore must generate a fake key for each SSL website you visit so your browser doesn't complain the connection has been compromised."

Back