Laptop soundcard

mobusta1

2[H]4U
Joined
May 1, 2008
Messages
2,590
I'm going to buy a new studio laptop from Dell. This will be used as an everyday laptop but it will also be used as an HTPC for a new 42inch plasma I am buying. I have a bunch of HD shows and movies on my HD and the new laptop has an HDMi port so I can just hook it up directly to the TV and watch them. Now here is where my question comes in. Do I need a better sound card than the generic one that Dell will issue me? For the time being it will just be directly hooked up to the Audio ports on the TV but later on I may purchase a Samsung 1000 watt Home Theatre system. Dell is offering an ExpressCard Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio Sound Card for $80 but I know on newegg I can buy a better one like this one : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829102020
for much cheaper. So basically what it boils down to is do I even need to purchase a separate sound card?
 
First get the laptop, then consider upgrades. Your HDMI output in your laptop should be able to output 5.1 audio so you should be covered. I don't think you'll benefit much or at all from an external card.

Also you might want to reconsider that Samsung 1000 watt home theater system :). What is your budget for your surround set? We might be able to reccommend something that performs better for the same price.
 
Well heres the thing I'm gonna dish out about 1k for the laptop than around another 950-1k for the TV... so put it simply my budget is NOT MUCH lol. But in term of raw figures I can't really go beyond $200, absolute max $250
 
This is probably the best soundcard you can get for your laptop:

Fubar II
Fubar II Review

fubar2_front.jpg
 
That will not work for him.

He's using this as a "HTPC" of sorts which demands 5.1 or more. He doesn't need an external solution of any sort since HDMI will passthrough any audio he needs.
 
Back
Top