Laptop help

Imcompa

Weaksauce
I have an Inspirion E1705, and it had a Geforce Go 7900 GS in it. Well, the card overheated (I believe) and it no longer wrote to the video memory correctly, and everything was showing up weird on the monitor. So I replaced the card, and when I installed the new one, my laptop wouldn't even turn on. Does anyone know what could be wrong?

Could be the video card isn't seated correctly, is incompatible or is nonfunctional. Or could be something else was knocked loose or not seated correctly when put back together. You can follow these steps to cover your options:

http://support.dell.com/support/top...mponent=-1&lang=-1&doclang=en&toggle=true&dl=

The steps you really want to pay attention to are involving the PSA boot method which are the preboot diagnostics. These allow you to see a diagnostic code on the 3 lock LEDs (no monitor video required).

If you don't want to go through the steps in the tree linked above then just do these:

- Disconnected any peripherals other than power.
- Remove easily accessable components which aren't required for post, eg) Hard Drive, DVD Drive, Battery (use AC power instead)
- Check for no-post codes on the 3 lock LEDs (Num Lock, Caps Lock, Scroll Lock). They will come on in a combination of Off or Flashing or Solid/On.
- Solid numlock with the other two off means the system is posting but you just aren't getting video. Anything else is a no-post code. I don't have a resource to show you what the list of codes mean but somewhere on the web there may be a list, or on the dell site that I can't find. Or you can call tech support if you still have warranty.
- If however you aren't showing any of the lock LEDs when you power on the system while holding Fn, then you probably have a power issue and may want to check your ac adapter, or if the battery is fully charged then try using the battery-only/without ac adapter.
- Also try reseating the video card and anything else you removed before such as memory dimms. They don't always seat correctly the first time or even the second or third time. So try reseating a few times.

Back