Lapping 3960X/3970X/3990X

vxspiritxv

[H]ard|Gawd
I know GN did it; Has any one here done it?
Googled without luck for before/after numbers.

I just did the ECP30 trick to mine & now I'm strait up thermal limited at 4.2ghz all core on my 3960X with custom loop.

I know GN did it; Has any one here done it?
Googled without luck for before/after numbers.

I just did the ECP30 trick to mine & now I'm strait up thermal limited at 4.2ghz all core on my 3960X with custom loop.
Something not right with your loop or your ambient temps are high. I don't start running into the 80s till about 4.4 all core. What temps/vcore you running?

Also what's the ecp30 trick?

Think I ment edc. Read it somewhere. Same as this
My ambient is quite high (room normally like 81F) but my cpu jumps in temp much faster than I think it should. So I’m going to lap it (in May), just seeing if anyone else has yet.

Voltages are ‘auto’.

Think I ment edc. Read it somewhere. Same as this
My ambient is quite high (room normally like 81F) but my cpu jumps in temp much faster than I think it should. So I’m going to lap it (in May), just seeing if anyone else has yet.

Voltages are ‘auto’.
Good little trick it works a bit on my 3960x I was gaming over 4.5 90% of the time and even hit a few 4.65 light load vs never hit 4.5 for more then a sec before. Mt clocks in cinbeanch is about the same at 4.275.

If I oc I can run 4.4 all core and vcore not temps is my limit...

What's your rad and block and water dalta t? These chips put a lot of heat out and you really need as much rad space as you can if you have a gpu in also.

don't lap especially if it's still under warranty ... the 1C decrease ain't worth it IMO

Wait for the warranty to expire before lapping, deliding. You may be better off selling your chip and buying another to bin for lower temps lower voltage and lower temp (Better IHS contact)

Back