LANcryption 2010 in SoCal June 26-27

im_electronic

Limp Gawd
LANCryption Summer 2K10- 150 Gamers gathering in Whittier, CA Saturday June 26th through till the
27th, 2010.

The Games are:
Bad Company 2 JUST ADDED!
Counter Strike 1.6
Left 4 Dead 2
Counter Strike: Source
Team Fortress 2

Sponsors include, but are not limited to:
In-Win
Hannspree
And many more

Pre-pay registration is $40(for a limited time), it will increase to $45, and be $50 at the door.

There will be BYOC tournaments as well. Hit the site and forums to follow the action and updates.

Http://www.lancryption.com

Follow us on Twitter: http://twitter.com/lancryption @lancryption
Become a Fan on Facebook: http://bit.ly/dd7Fsg

Last edited:
added to list of official sponsors:

gigabyte USA
futuremark/shattered horizons
sumseeds

Last edited:
There's a lot more details to the event that just isn't noticed.

The CS 1.6, L4D2, CS:S and TF2 tournaments will be divided into 2 divisions
  1. Non-competitive/casual teams - PUG teams, teams that don't compete at the professional eSports level, teams that just play to enjoy the game and have fun
  2. Competitive/professional teams - Sponsored teams, teams that compete consistently against other professional/competitive teams, ranked teams, and teams that are serious about playing a specific game.

Caveat:
  • There needs to be at least 3 teams for the Competitive/Pro-division.
  • The Competitive/Pro Division will have a $10 buy-in per player. And 100% of the buy-in pool will be awarded to the winners. See below.
  • If there are not sufficient teams in the Pro-division, then that division will be canceled, any buy-in refunded and all teams will be put into a single division.

• The non-competitive division will be awarded sponsored prizes.
  • The Pro-division will be awarded 100% of the buy-in pool, with 70% for 1st, 20% for 2nd, and 10% for 3rd place. No fees will be taken by the event.
  • All prizes will be awarded by the end of the event (read: no waiting months for a check for the pro-division).
  • If the pro-division is canceled, and after the buy-in is refunded, the combined division will only be awarded the sponsored prizes.
Why?
  • Fairness for the casual/non-competitive gamer. Where's the fun in having a pro-level team roll over your team in a tournament?
  • Fairness and a better test of skills for the pro-level gamer. If you think your team is good enough, then now's the chance to prove it by competing against teams that believe the same thing.
  • Because sponsors typically prefer to send products, that they make, for prizes. If eSports can return to a former level, then it's possible that sponsors will come around and see that this is a valid way for handling LAN gaming competitions at all levels.

The gaming community has seen too many events that just haven't stayed true to the spirit of competition. There's a level of fairness to gamers at all levels, that should always be at the foundation.

I can't stress enough that the pro-division will have a buy-in fee, and:
  1. 100% of the buy-in pool will be awarded to the winners
  2. Absolutely no fees from the buy-in pool will be taken by the event
  3. All prizes will be awarded by the end of the event, including the buy-in pool.

In the BYOC, taking up a headline position there:
FutureMark is directly sponsoring a Shattered Horizons tournament!
More details on this to follow.
Tentative as details are being hammered out as I write this:
Battlefield: Bad Company 2! Yes, we are working on how to structure a tournament for this game. In fact, we're talking with some key people who are doing as much as they can to get us the resources and help we need to pull this off.

Other details:
The Lancryption network delivers full gigabit network ports to every seat--no other event can claim this in the same way at this time! We deliver this with a network stack, that has dual 10Gig stacking ports and fully redundant links!

We have dedicated servers for all the tournaments, and games in the BYOC. We use ALP to help facilitate the tournaments. We let the attendees essentially be the DJ at the event, with a Tunez server. Plus there won't be a problem hearing the MC or anyone talking on the mic, since we bring a professional sound system.

This is the 2nd event at this location in Whittier, but we're in it for the long haul, and look to max out the location. There's no problem with parking--no additional fees, and extra security covering the parking lot and the event.

And if you check the pictures on the web site, you can see the level of prizes we've handed out before. Hope to see you there!

oh the BF:BC2 sounds awesome.Very interested.
also the L4D2 is another game I like.how long of a road trip from AZ to SoCal?

oh the BF:BC2 sounds awesome.Very interested.
also the L4D2 is another game I like.how long of a road trip from AZ to SoCal?

Depends on what part of Arizona and what part of Socal. Phoenix to Whittier would probably take 6-7 hours. That's about what it takes from LA to Sac and the distance is about the same.

All right all you [H]ard Gamers

We have contests going on over on our forums, as ell as a FB/Twitter/Forums raffle goin on for a pair of SLI cards.

This should be interesting. Dont see reason for 1.6 since its just too old.

we're still working on the event itself along with event sponsors.

stay tuned for a major announcement.

There are two main reasons for the games chosen for the tournaments:

1) Several people have suggested the game they would like to play at a LAN event, and compete against others.
2) The event has secured the proper tournament licenses to use the suggested game at the LAN event.

What should be pointed out about every game and every other LAN event across the globe:
* Valve lists events that are happening within 90 days on their event calendar. This list shows which events have properly submitted a request for a tournament license.
* Other developers/publishers have similar request procedures in place for inclusion of their game/product at any LAN event.
* The standard EULA included with a copy of the game does not automatically give usage of the game for usage at a LAN event:

Neither the retail licenses nor the Steam Subscriber Agreement terms allow a licensee to host a tournament. The Tournament Agreement is free and grants you the license to use and display identified games (“Games’) in your tournament.
--From Steam's own Tourney License page

What? Why?

No developer or publisher has enforced such a legality, yet. But, knowing that every one of them could. That each one of them could turn around and demand something--royalities, fees, etc.--from each event organizer. As an event organizer, wouldn't you want to make sure that you were covered and wouldn't have this come back to bite you in the @$$ later?

In this day and age, when there are really too many lawyers, do you really want to take that chance? Especially if asking for a tournament license is free?

Taking this a few steps further, companies like Activision/Blizzard are very difficult to get any response from, thus their games are not featured in a headline competition.

But, you find Steam/Valve, FutureMark, and EA/DICE at Lancryption. We've got their blessing for their games, and every reader should be pushing the organizers at their favorite event to do the same thing.

As for the inclusion of CS 1.6 Quake 1 is a very competitive game in the UK. Still. It's not the age of the game, but the skill of the players.

If there aren't enough gamers signed up for the competition on the day of the event, then it'll be canceled. There is a pro/competitive division that requires 3 full teams. If the pro/competitive division is canceled, then it's all rolled together with the non-competitive division, and only sponsored prizes are awarded. If there are not enough teams at that point (only 2 are needed), then that specific competition will be canceled.

• So what happens if you have two events on the same weekend and tie them together? (web cam + projector at each event; plus scoreboards corresponding at each side; and even possible gameplay across the connection)
  • The top teams in tournaments at the respective events get pitted against the top teams at the other event?
  • What if on-site dedicated servers are managed and maintained at both events? (And we're talking about a game that doesn't have a publicly and readily available dedicated server component)?
  • What if this means a total of nearly 600 gamers will be hammering away at each other on-LAN, online (in event vs event finals), and in-game?
  • What if you as a gamer heard about this and didn't attend historic U.S. LAN Event gaming?

Stay tuned, as a lot of this is being worked out as I write this... :eek:

Lancryption 2010 (California) and DesertBash 9 (Arizona) are both proud to announce that Battlefield: Bad Company 2 will be one of the tournaments at each respective event!

Thanks to Low Ping Game Servers, dedicated servers will be on-site in Arizona and California.

But wait, there's more!

Looking closely at both events, the hosts for both sides realized that:

Team Fortress 2 6v6
Counter-strike: Source 5v5
Bad Company 2

will have teams competing at both events. The top teams at Lancryption will be pitted against the top teams at DesertBash on a Low Pings Game Servers online server to truly determine supremacy in the south-west!

If you think your TF2, CS:S or BC2 team is bad @$$, then here's your chance to prove it at a historic gaming event!

it just got serious, folks.

in addition to our interstate face-off w/ desertbash and on-site BC2 servers...

we just got Monster Energy Drinks as an official sponsor, with more to come.

go to www.lancryption.com to sign up.

We're adding Intel to our list of sponsors, and will be getting an idea of the items to add to the prize list.

Keep looking at the web page over the Memorial Day weekend. We will be dropping the price for online admission to $35 through Monday. Tuesday, the online admission will go back to $40. And by June 21, 2010, if not sooner, the online admission will go up to $45 with $50 at the door.

Registration won't guarantee your seat! So after registering for the event, make sure you buy your ticket. If the event is sold out, there won't be chance of a waiting list.

Plus, we're extending the time to correspond to the DesertBash start times. So the event will kick off on Friday night, June 25, 2010!

I may be out there around that time, if I am I'll stop by. I've got a Sager that can rock some L4D2 quite easily. :)

I may be out there around that time, if I am I'll stop by. I've got a Sager that can rock some L4D2 quite easily. :)

awesome. i'm curious about these Sager laptops that i've read about but have never seen one in person. hope to see you there.

Bump to let AZ know that CA isn't sleeping. And if that other guy who's gonna be in CA for Uncle Sam gets a weekend off, he can always visit Lancryption. We're planning on having a web cam + projector up to see all the disappointed AZ faces during the head-to-head matches!

Also, the event agenda is posted to the Event FAQ on the site. Get registered and get paid. Registration alone does not guarantee a seat, plus we're filling up so don't hesitate!

Bump to let everyone know that the only locations having a Battlefield: Bad Company 2 tournament are in California and Arizona. With the top teams at each location going head to head online, courtesy of Low Ping Game Servers.

(Plus, letting everyone know that if it weren't for the hard work of Zora at Inwin, and the Lancryption team in California, this wouldn't be possible).

Did I mention that we have direct blessing from the top at EA for this tournament?

Booyah!

Now how many events are in the US? And how many of them have BC2 on-site with dedicated servers and a tournament?

48 hours and counting before the madness begins.

if you don't register, you miss out.

and when you do, don't say we didn't tell you...

bump again for updates:

due to the generosity of our sponsors, we will be having a silent auction for a top-of-the-line Intel Core i7 980X Extreme Edition processor as well as an Intel P55KG/SB Extreme Motherboard (all proceeds from the silent auction will go to a yet-to-be-determined charity).

all this in addition to almost $15,000 of prizes kicked in by our sponsors!

less than 24 hours left, and just a hair over 50 seats left.

don't miss out on presale registration!

we're live now, ladies and gentlemen.

still early, so if you've just stumbled upon this, it's not too late to show up and register on-site!

Back