LAN Party - Remote Shutdown

Patman

[H]ard|Gawd
I am hosting a LAN party this weekend with a few buddies. I am VERY strict on music downloading. I do not want any of it. Slows the network, and is illegal. I know a few of my buddies try to sneak it by and abuse my broadband because they have dial-up and it really pisses me off. Does anyone know any software I can use, preferable ms-dos to remotely shut down their computer over and over if I desire when I catch them in the act. Or a small program I can run on my rig that limits the network speed to certain programs ie kazaa. Any ideas are greatly appcreciated, remote shutdown especially.

A good program to limit certain programs i would use Netlimiter you can limit bandwidth to almost any program with that.

Patman said:
I am hosting a LAN party this weekend with a few buddies. I am VERY strict on music downloading. I do not want any of it. Slows the network, and is illegal. I know a few of my buddies try to sneak it by and abuse my broadband because they have dial-up and it really pisses me off. Does anyone know any software I can use, preferable ms-dos to remotely shut down their computer over and over if I desire when I catch them in the act. Or a small program I can run on my rig that limits the network speed to certain programs ie kazaa. Any ideas are greatly appcreciated, remote shutdown especially.

You can't shutdown a machine you don't know the admin account/password on. The 'shutdown.exe" program comes with XP if you do know the password.

What you can do is proxy all outbound internet traffic so that only http/ftp and other legit traffic gets through.

The best way to get them not to download music is tell them not to. If they are your friends, they'll respect your wishes.

alrox said:
The best way to get them not to download music is tell them not to. If they are your friends, they'll respect your wishes.

Thats how I hope it would work. Some computers based on XP home don't use passwords for their usernames or I doubt the admins either. How would I go about making their computer execute "shutdown.exe" remotely from my machine on the same network, is it possible? The limiting tips thus far will work perfectly, especially the http:// and ftp:// s as long as my users can share music/files accross the LAN still.

Patman said:
Thats how I hope it would work. Some computers based on XP home don't use passwords for their usernames or I doubt the admins either. How would I go about making their computer execute "shutdown.exe" remotely from my machine on the same network, is it possible? The limiting tips thus far will work perfectly, especially the http:// and ftp:// s as long as my users can share music/files accross the LAN still.

Unless you got them on a domain and actually created profiles to limit them that much, there ain't squat you can do about bud. If there really your friends, they will respect your wishes. If not, perhaps you shouldn't be hosting LAN parties for them.

What about just configuring the firewall/gateway/router to only allow traffic that is needed (steam, http for map updates, etc). Thats a guaranteed fix.

Bullitt said:
What about just configuring the firewall/gateway/router to only allow traffic that is needed (steam, http for map updates, etc). Thats a guaranteed fix.

Sure enough, but Linksys routers don't allow you to block internal outgoing traffic.

shutdown /i for the gui but as mentioned, you'll need administrative rights

shutdown /? from a prompt if you want all the switches

So if I go into safe mode and boot up as Admin on my computer can I do it then?

Safe mode? I am not following your train of thought there. You'll need to use the credentials they are logging on with on the remote machine and that login will need admin rights on that machine. So you can create accounts on your local machine or the easier method is to simply use "Run as" to execute the shutdown command.

simple.

download linux firewall, such as smoothwall, install configure with STRONG passwords! put between your modem and router, or replace as router and double as a DHCP server, block everything but what you want.

OR!

Unplug your internet, blocks everything, no one can download anything from the internet, sorted. :p

Instead of blocking outbound ports, just block all IP addresses that can access the internet except for your PC.

Use your computer as an Internet Gateway, when you see them doing it, just disable the Internet Sharing thing, simple.

Stopping of the downloading is pretty easy but I want to teach them I am serious and don't fuck with me period. Remote shutdown is a must. I need to do that to ensure maximum administration.

If they have passwords on an administrator account, it is IMPOSSIBLE to remotely shut them down. What you're asking simply can't be done without the right account/password.

The next best thing would be to pull their ethernet cable out if you see someone downloading music, but I see that leading to not happening or nothing but trouble.

If 'remote shutdown is a must', then you're not ready to host a LAN party.

second vote to just block all traffic from any ip outbound but yours. To be funny, I'd get an old box, throw 2 NIC's in it, and setup m0n0wall. Configure the traffic shapper to give them dialup speeds. It'll make them feel like they're at home again. Or just set it up to limit bittorrent and p2p ports to .5k/sec.

Patman said:
Stopping of the downloading is pretty easy but I want to teach them I am serious and don't fuck with me period. Remote shutdown is a must. I need to do that to ensure maximum administration.

Not going to happen. Shutdown.exe *requires* administrative privileges to work.

Setup a smoothwall, IPCOP, or any other firewall distro and only allow web browsing, email, etc.

I recommend pulling the plug on their PC. That's a good way to shut them down.

Patman said:

Does this strike anyone else as odd?

Remote shutdown? How about ask them to leave? How about unplug them from the network?

Something is fishy here....

Malk-a-mite said:
Does this strike anyone else as odd?

Remote shutdown? How about ask them to leave? How about unplug them from the network?

Something is fishy here....
I agree.
1. If they were really your friends, they would respect you.
2. They sound like jerks, and you're begining to sound like them with the whole don't fuck with me bs.
3. You have a simple solution. Configure so only you can get on the net.
4. Yeah, I'm still stuck on the teaching them not to fuck with you part. :confused: Doesn't make sense.

fusion210 said:
I agree.
2. They sound like jerks, and you're begining to sound like them with the whole don't fuck with me bs.
4. Yeah, I'm still stuck on the teaching them not to fuck with you part. :confused: Doesn't make sense.

Werd

fusion210 said:
I agree.

agreed

Why dont you disable DHCP on your router, and not give your "friends" the ip of your Default Gateway.
BTW what kind of Lan party his this House/Center?

what you have to do is this....

Have two networks, one for the admins, one for the users. The admin network has access to everything and the user network doesnt. Then you can control the bandwidth on the two levels...

Also if you don't want to do that, just use a proxy...

- S

Back