LAN(homegroup) transfer speed between PC limited by my ISP download speed?

raclimj

Gawd
I have encountered this issue long time ago

I created a homegroup network between my computers and the transfer speed between PCs is the same as my download speed (8MB/s).

My wireless router is Netgear Nighthawk x6 AC3200 and both PCs are connected via 5Ghz 450.0Mbps 802.11AC

Both PCs have SSD (850 Pro), use Core i7 Haswell and use Windows 10 x64 Pro.

Same thing happen if I connect both PCs via a wired Gigabit Ethernet connection, transfer speed between PC is limited by my ISP download speed.

In the past I tested this issue and I found out that if I disconnect my ISP, transfer speed between PC via wired Gigabit Ethernet becomes 15x faster (from 8MB/s to 125MB/s).

Well that's the first time I've heard of something like this, though I'm sure someone else has come across it before seeing as how that's a pretty popular router. Maybe there's a bug which is applying the WAN speed throughput to the LAN connections via QoS? I'd try disabling QoS if it is enabled now just to see if that works.

EDIT: BTW, what is your upload speed with your ISP?

Last edited:
Are you by chance running any kind of VPN software such as Hamachi, etc? I've had a few cases where two computers (even on the same LAN) were both on the same VPN, and the traffic was often going out onto the internet before coming back to the other computer... Disconnecting the internet would cause traffic to be local because it wouldn't have a choice, so it would mirror your results.

You aren't doing some kind of network adapter bridging on any of the PCs are you? Or any kind of internet connection sharing? By "internet connection sharing" I mean the built in Windows utility called that. Check the router, is there an option for bandwidth management that is enabled? My best bet is something in the router.

Back