L3 switch for one rack

petrov_ich

n00b
Hi!

Please suggest a 48port L3 switch for a rack of ESXi machines.

Requirements:
  • 48 copper 1Gbe including 4 SFPs
  • BGP (without full view)
  • > 1Mpps
  • Access lists
  • 1U
  • Budget: 2k$ (used will do)

Thank you!

What about a used Cisco 3560E? 48 ports of PoE, layer 3, 4 SFP's (10Ge compatible)? If you're lucky you can find one for <$2K.

3750E ANY DAY of the week.

They have 2 X2 type 10gb/s ports using X2 cards or using Cisco dual sfp cards you can get 2 1gbe sfp card in each 10G port.

Totally awesome switch. Can forward L3 Packets at over 60 million pps. (24 port), I think the 48 port is well over 100mpps. Either way at a minimum these switches can forward packets over 60 times higher capacity than what you requested.

I am recommending this switch because I own one and I know first hand what they can do.

Just make sure the buffer size will be large enough for application. Cisco's 3750s and below do not have a very large port buffer as some very specific server applications desire. I have never even seen a 2960G hinder performance so there is no possible way I can forsee a 3750E series slowing down any network. These things are l3 forwarding monsters.

I wouldn't buy a used cisco just because their support sucks with it, bs tacs contracts blah blah.. With HP you just give a serial and your golden.

This is completely false. Please do not spread mis-information you heard from someone else. I have numerous switches I have purchased used and have full smart net on.

And coming from a Full HP network to a full Cisco network let me just say that as far as support goes:

Cisco Tac > a hole in the ground > HP Procurve support

This is completely false. Please do not spread mis-information you heard from someone else. I have numerous switches I have purchased used and have full smart net on.

And coming from a Full HP network to a full Cisco network let me just say that as far as support goes:

I will agree. Cisco TAC agreement can help you resolve any configuration issue on the face of earth as long as the configuration you desire is avaialble within the abilities of the hardware you are using.

I gladly paid for a 3 year tac for both my 3750E and my 1921 Router. My ASA is used but I havent tried to get a TAC for it as I am not even using it right now.

Procurve support is lacking and their documentation is lacking. Biggest issue I've had with the docs stating a feature is available but then it never describes its configuration. This means the switch doesn't actually support it, but support won't tell you that :) They'll spend two days "researching" into it.

Still I like my 2910al-48g's. If support isn't the deal breaker I'd recommend one of those.

You make me laugh. HP support has always been worse than Cisco. I get 1 hour response from TAC if anything is down. HP? Maybe Next day or two?

A day or two would be fast for them. I had a serious issue with port flapping on an HP switch at the network core that was messing up the whole network. It took an HP "Support Engineer" over a week to figure out one of the cards in the chassis switch was dying. I am glad my current employer is all Cisco. TAC just plain rocks. Every time I open a case is it resolved in hours not days. Not to mention the one time I have had issues with my UCS hardware we ordered parts at 10 PM and they were at my door at 8 AM the next day!

A day or two would be fast for them. I had a serious issue with port flapping on an HP switch at the network core that was messing up the whole network. It took an HP "Support Engineer" over a week to figure out one of the cards in the chassis switch was dying. I am glad my current employer is all Cisco. TAC just plain rocks. Every time I open a case is it resolved in hours not days. Not to mention the one time I have had issues with my UCS hardware we ordered parts at 10 PM and they were at my door at 8 AM the next day!

Agreed. We are a all cisco shop and we are looking at Dell's Force 10's soon, I've heard good things but again, dells support will be much like HP's i'm afraid. I'll only push force10's as a backup if cisco is too expensive for my clients.

Dunno who you were talking to. To me HP have never failed to deliver replacements next business day even for boxes with no supportcontract whatsoever. Trying to speak to the Cisco TAC without an expensive smartnet license for a particular Cisco unit is a different story =)

Dunno who you were talking to. To me HP have never failed to deliver replacements next business day even for boxes with no supportcontract whatsoever. Trying to speak to the Cisco TAC without an expensive smartnet license for a particular Cisco unit is a different story =)

same, I have never had an issue with HP shipping me out new stuff when I have an issue, they overnight me a new one, I put the old one in the box and send it back...

OMG you feel you get a quicker response from the expensive paid support option? on top of their stuff costing more per feature than anyone else?

shocking!

their stuff is pretty good, but crap do you really REALLY pay for it

OMG you feel you get a quicker response from the expensive paid support option? on top of their stuff costing more per feature than anyone else?

shocking!

their stuff is pretty good, but crap do you really REALLY pay for it
Well I certainly prefer for my business to be down when my switches die. :rolleyes:

Well I certainly prefer for my business to be down when my switches die. :rolleyes:

have you had them NOT do that? or are you speculating? I have not had a bad experience with them

I was referring to putting in a ticket to cisco tac vs contacting HP support for a weird issue, not replacing a failed device

I have cisco tacs and I hate them. Definetly wasn't a 1 hour response. I had 7 hour head ache just to get a fan replacement. Also it costs the client 10k a year for all the equipment. Couldn't understand the CSR, and the heavily accented east indian tech I had hard time as well.

Dealing with HP I get an English speaker from north america, polite friendly quick response usually with in the same call. Very good email support. Overall superb to the overpriced crap cisco tacs, to top it off I paid nothing. Got my switch replaced with in 24 hours, and I also had some nasty connectivity issues which they solved for me.

Still I like my 2910al-48g's. If support isn't the deal breaker I'd recommend one of those.

Can't do proper routing or acl's you'll need a 3500 minimum which can't stack so your into 5400 territory.

Best bet is i'm afraid Cisco 3750G-48 either S or the E version depending on needs
Won't be able to do full BGP tables so i'm led to believe but will do basic BGP

I am guessing most the of the people posting in the this thread have never needed real enterprise support. I am not talking about dead equipment, in that case Cisco and hp are about the the same. I am talking about needing support at 1 am when a BGP route across 2 out of country sites dies for no reason. Try getting Hp to help with that.

In my experience the HP support for replacing hardware is free of charge and works flawless 24/7/365. What you can buy, no matter if you are enterprise or not, is if you need a faster replacement than NBD (Next Business Day) like 12 or 4 hours or such.

The support of troubleshooting is mainly taken care of by subcontractors so it depends on which firm you signed your enterprise support with if you will get help at 1 AM or not.

I have had experience from bad companies (not related to cisco or HP) where the support contract said within 4 hours on site and they showed up not until after 28 hours...

Back