Korean Monitors Experiences

AdamR

n00b
From what I understand, these monitors are highly sought after because of their lack of a scaler, combined with the fact that they're IPS/PLS. Are there any real disadvantages to going with one of these compared to a recognized big brand, like Asus/Dell? I get it that there's a high probability of at least a couple dead pixels, but at such a high resolution, I'll surprise myself if I can even find them without having a complete white background. Anyone who has rolled the dice, I'd love to hear how your experience went with ordering from Korea along with any major defects you had happen with your Korean Monitor.

This is the one I've been considering, since it doesn't have PWM flicker, along with an actual IPS panel, unlike the Qnix model: http://www.ebay.com/itm/CrossOver-2...397727?hash=item339ed9ac9f:g:10kAAOSwBahVd8kT

Any recommendations on anything better for the money would be great... because frankly, I can't find much else under 350 for 1440p, along with how well they can overclock.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Now They are OKAY, I bought the X-star before the hype train. I bought two Fw900 to go with/replace later my x-star.

Make sure you find a vendor with the lowest dead pixel count/sold, when I bought mine I had none but when I started overclocking I got a dead Black pixel.

Now saying that the pixels are small, really small so actually seeing it is very hard unless your look for it. but when notice does kill immersion(imesho)

Oh and terrible, terrible, terrible, terrible terrible backlight bleed.

Overall, its a case you get what you pay for, On a budget and a little luck, your good. I also can only imagine these got better over time too as well.

The color are good, and the only other thing ive noticed is these power bricks that come with it run hotter then they should so there that as well. swaped it and was fine ever since.

my two cents.

Last edited:
Korean buying rules

1. Don't buy from anyone but green-sum. If a problem arises they will take care of it with a 1 year warranty. If you buy a pixel perfect model you can request they check for dead pixels and any other deformities before its shipped. They will honor this request and get back to you with pictures if need be.

2. Buy a 3 year warranty from square trade

3. I would try to avoid crossover as a brand entirely, their quality on their monitors are subpar.

My experience:

Bought a crossover 494k back in July. Was a little disappointed as it lacked advertised features like hdcp 2.2 and I found out free sync didn't work. So it crapped out on me in October , green sum got back quickly and had me send a video of the problem. Decided it required replacement and I requested a completely different monitor as replacement and that they check it beforehand. He sold me a return label for the monitor for $40 which was great. They checked it out and told me the best one had a stuck/dead pixel and sent me a picture of it. It was fine for me and I still haven't even seen it he stuck pixel. Replacement got here in 2 days and has been great ever since.

Now about the crossover 494k quality. I replaced it with a wasabi mango uhd490 which is basically eh same monitor from different companies. Well the WM blows the crossover out. Wm has a sturdier finish with aluminum bezel, better ag coating, smaller pixels (don't know if it was the crossover ag on this one), 2x hdmi 2.0 instead of 1, hdcp 2.2, free sync works, internal power supply, 3-4 usb 3.0, etc. there's actually a lot more but those were the main differences. I was astonished at the difference in quality between WM and Crossover

Last edited:
No issues with my Qnix QX2710. Picture is excellent, gaming is great, backlight bleed on mine is no better or worse than Dell U2715H's I have in my office. I'd venture to say my Dell's are a tad worse. And unless it's extremely bad you don't notice it unless you're staring at a black screen.

I bought a crossover 324K. works good so far. Just disappointed that the input lag is 48ms according to a Korean test site... I use it for general usage...

make sure your monitor has good ventilation. do use in a hutch or dusty area. the power delivery systems are cheap and not very robust. they cannot hand'e heat. my 27 inch shorted out after being in a cold room for week and then turned on. needed to be warmed up first. silly, i know.

The Korean imports have some competition from Monoprice. MP's options aren't all encompassing, but warrant a look due to their value.

A month ago, Monoprice had 7 or 8 first-party monitors. They have 3 or 4 now. Not sure if they're refreshing their products, or slowly phasing them out, so consider these while you can. Good return policy and basic 1-year warranty on what they do sell.

1 - http://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=113&cp_id=11307&cs_id=1130703&p_id=13808&seq=1&format=2

27", 1440p, LG AH-IPS, matte covering, $250, advertised as a "perfect" panel.

2 - http://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=113&cp_id=11307&cs_id=1130703&p_id=10489&seq=1&format=2

27", 1440p, glass glossy screen, $370, advertised as an A-1 panel (similar to or slightly better than the imports).

3 - http://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=113&cp_id=11307&cs_id=1130703&p_id=13809&seq=1&format=2

28", 4k, TN, matte coating, $350. They also had a glossy version for $400 that drew rave reviews, but that seems to have disappeared this past week.

I doubt they have the scalar-free input lag of their Korean counterparts, and I doubt that they can be OC'd well, if at all. But if you want something that should work out of the box, with a hassle-free return/exchange policy if you're not satisfied, I'd take MP over the imports.

Back