Koolance Exos temp ?

TheBlackAngel

Limp Gawd
Well, the thread i originally posted in got locked so here it is again since i didn't get a chance to reply :)

Quote: Originally Posted by TheBlackAngel
wow, how are you guys getting such good temps with your exos systems?!?!? i have an exos with a spiral design waterblock on the CPU. the CPU is an athlon XP 1700. when i don't overclock it the temps are mid to lower 30's(C). but when i overclock to 166x12.5 at 1.7V my temps skyrocket to a little over 60(C)!! this is with a room temp af roughly 72-74(F). is this normal or do i have something setup wrong? i did have my ti4600 vid card in the loop also, but i just recently took it out of the water setup. it helped the temps a little, but not as much as i thought it was going too.... anyone have any sugestions for me to check or is this normal? the rest of my system is this...

MB= soyo kt400 plat
CPU=XP 1700
Vid=ti4600
RAM=512
3 hard drives
cd burner
dvd burner

thanks

Quote: Originally Posted by Optimummind
Yea, it seems kinda odd that your temp would shoot up that much. Maybe there isn't good contact between your CPU and your waterblock? You should double-check the connections and make sure that you have some thermal grease there (like Artic Silver).

When non-OC'ed, I get an idle temp of 26-28 so there's something definitely kinda fishy in your temperatures. BTW, my room temp is around 72 F and I have a large full tower case with 6 case fans. Also, in additon to using the liquid provided by Koolance, I've added a liquid additive called "Water Wetter." Although I've noticed a temp dif of only 1 degree Celcius, I noticed that the color of my water doesn't change brownish as fast as before (Water Wetter also acts to prevent corrosion).

so in reply to the above.... i am using artic silver ceramique for my thermal paste. i think i have the block tightened down enough, its one that has the 4 screws you tighten down individually. for the liquid i have a mixture of purified water, anti-freeze, and some humidifier anti-bacterial stuff. its a full tower case with 5 case fans that are set to low. i am reading the temps with MBM 5. i have the temp reader that is part of the exos sitting on the back of my video card so i can see the temps above that. I have redone the thermal paste and tightening of the block a few different times and it always the same. it just seemed weird to me that temps would jump that much from my OC.... maybe its normal though, but if anyone has any sugestions to try please let me know.

Thanks

Just a generic observation, reported CPU temps dont mean a damn thing in real terms. Every board reports differently, every chip reads differently. The best I go with since I dont have a sensor next to the CPU die (or even close) is the difference from the reported CPU temp vs the reported case temp, but thats not even accurate. what i'm saying is, take reported temps with a grain of salt. if its stable, the numbers dont really matter. if they do matter to you, take the time and get your own, calibrated sensors.

Back