Kmart Not Exclusively Supporting HDDVD

Rich Tate

Supreme [H]ardness
It looks like the statements that Kmart was going all HDDVD were indeed false. They plan to continue supporting both formats.

There have been numerous statements in the media today, attributed to Toshiba, indicating exclusive support for the HD-DVD format in Kmart stores. These statements are false.

Holy Deja Vu Batman

Didn't we get almost the exact same rumor a few months ago with the exact same result? Only think it was about HD-DVD. It seems like once a week one side is claiming the other side got dropped from some store or production company and once a week those laims turn out to be false.

I just want this useless format war to end already.

The stories I read said that the only Blu-ray player K-mart plans on carrying from now on is the PS3. So I guess it depends on how you look at it. I would call that a win for HD-DVD. Whether it's exclusivity or not I guess is a matter of semantics.

i agree, i think they will probably only sell a BluRay player via the PS3, which means they can say they aren't exclusively HDDVD.......but they might as well be, fact is, HDDVD is at the right price point, they will never succeed with BluRay until they have a comparable player at the same price as HDDVD, average joe will walk in, say, i got a HDTV, now i want my movies in HD, and both of these do that, but this one is $199 and the other one is $299......average joe will pick up the $199 model almost every single time, so exclusivity aside, the price point is what matters most, and with HDDVD being at the most attractive price point, they will stock and sell far more HDDVD players than BluRay, guaranteed

rather than look at KMart, i would be looking at the king of getting products in every living room everywhere, Walmart

considering that not all walmarts even sale any HD movie players period (one near me doesn't even sale PS3s only the games for the console which puzzles me as to why) I sometimes wonder if they are trying to lean toward nether format.

considering that not all walmarts even sale any HD movie players period (one near me doesn't even sale PS3s only the games for the console which puzzles me as to why) I sometimes wonder if they are trying to lean toward nether format.

they jump on whatever makes the most money, least cost + highest availability = highest profit

The stories I read said that the only Blu-ray player K-mart plans on carrying from now on is the PS3. So I guess it depends on how you look at it. I would call that a win for HD-DVD. Whether it's exclusivity or not I guess is a matter of semantics.
Well it could be the are just selling PS3's and hardly any BD standalones, so they figured screw it, limited shelf space they kill off the BD standalones.

Also, the statement is pretty vague, they could be referring to movies, they still carry BD movies I believe.

Back