Klipsche 5.1 dead?

FRZ

2[H]4U
2FA
Joined
Jul 7, 2005
Messages
3,933
so I've got an old set of klipsche promedia 5.1 speakers that I've used with my computer for the past 3 years and I've loved every sound they put out. This morning however I go to play some music and no luck. Tried rebooting and reinstalling the drivers for my x-fi but no luck. I also noticed a clicking noise from the woofer. If anyone has any advice I would really appreciate it, I don't want to say goodbuy to my babys just yet:(
 
Lol early morning typing sorry about that

They were my oldest piece of hardware so I guess it's time, could you guys recommend a good set of 5.1 speakers to replace these, I mainly use for music and gaming and it will be paired to a x-fi xtremeaudio
 
you can get your amp fixed, there is no point on spending $ on a new set =) u have a great set, possibly the best for a computer setup
 
you can get your amp fixed, there is no point on spending $ on a new set =) u have a great set, possibly the best for a computer setup


......................................................................................................................................


If you can't say something nice.......................................:p

Ok. Yeah the amp can get fixed. If you can afford something else though. Well, there's MUCH better out there I assure you.
 
if I can't get them fixed should I go with another klipsch 5.1 system as whatever I've read that the klipsch still are one of the best
 
you can send them to klipsch for repair. MUCH better than Klipsch? For computer audio...no receiver type setup? I'd be VERY interested to see what you think is better than these (note that I'm not saying there's not better sets, but you sound pretty convinced).

Please enlighten us.
 
mine are the promedia 5.1s, but I see there's an ultra version now. Although from the pics they look identicle to mine is there any improvments in the ultra?
 
I'm betting for sure that your amp died, same thing happened to my Klipsch promedia.

I would recommend thinking outside the box here a little bit, and not look for a set of "computer" speakers. If you have the room for it a surround sound receiver based setup is very nice for computer use, and hooking one up is usually as simple as just buying an inexpensive optical cable or coaxial cable to go from your pc to the receiver. Then you can use any speakers that you like, such as a nice pair of bookshelf speakers, or even a home theater in a box type speaker setup to get you started if the budget is tight, then you can upgrade your speakers later.

Also worth thinking about is if you actually need a 5.1 setup, I'm very happy with my 2.1 setup, and to my ears the sound quality blows away the Klipsch that it replaced.
 
you can send them to klipsch for repair. MUCH better than Klipsch? For computer audio...no receiver type setup? I'd be VERY interested to see what you think is better than these (note that I'm not saying there's not better sets, but you sound pretty convinced).

Please enlighten us.

I wasn't talking about "pc speakers". I was referring to a real stereo.

However, I would take the Swan M10 over that fart and screech machine. If you want my true
opinion lol.
 
I wasn't talking about "pc speakers". I was referring to a real stereo.

However, I would take the Swan M10 over that fart and screech machine. If you want my true
opinion lol.

I was refering to pc speakers =) I have a receiver and speakers also for my HT setup, and yes it sounds much more full then the Klipsch,

but for the price of fixing his amp($120) vs getting an receiver speakers and a subwoofer $500+ for something better then the klipsch 5.1s.
 
$120 to fix those? I will kick him in the nuts for $5! lol

A pair of decent powered monitors sounds way better than that.

Still, the OP has the wallet and the wants. I would want him to want something better. Even if it means fewer speakers.
 
if he has the money and space for a full ht system then by all means! :p I don't so i stuck with my klipsch for my pc.
 
I have a home theater in the box for my tv, but setting one up for my pc of seems a bit to much. I would like to spend no more the 400 as the klipsch can be found for around that price. Any thoughts?
 
Hey FRZ, I just so happen to have a Klipsch amp for sale. It's from the ProMedia Ultra series. I don't have any pics because I am at work but if you are interested I can get some for you...
 
If you do end up buying new, I didn't mind the Z5500 I picked up for $180 new. They certainly aren't the best speakers in the world (the Klipsch sound better I am sure), but for the money (if you get them on a good sale) they are solid enough. Guess it depends on how picky you are (and I could certainly see wanting to go with a better setup).
 
The amp on my Promedia Ultra 5.1's died a couple months back. I called Klipsch shortly after it died, and they told me it would be $60 to repair but there was a 3 month wait on the parts. So I waited 2 1/2 months or so, called them back and now the price is $120. :mad: Anyway, I personally think they are excellent sounding speakers and are worth the repair. If you decide to go that route, you might wanna check out elliot-tronics on eBay if you want to save a few bucks.
 
Give me a break. For $120 you can buy a receiver, amp or just some powered monitors that will be much better. It makes me sad to know that anyone thinks those overly bright, no midrange with a fart cannon sub sounds anything remotely close to good.

Throw them away and start over. Get a real stereo and smile more.
 
Give me a break. For $120 you can buy a receiver, amp or just some powered monitors that will be much better. It makes me sad to know that anyone thinks those overly bright, no midrange with a fart cannon sub sounds anything remotely close to good.

Throw them away and start over. Get a real stereo and smile more.

you're being way to harsh, a pair of monitors won't get him surround, and nothing for $120 is going to sound anywhere near as good as the klipsch 5.1s do in terms of comp speakers or recievers since a decent one is a fair bit more, not sure what was wrong with your set, but my 4.1s and 5.1s both sound great for a computer, even for movies / music they sound better then most HTPC in a box setups and I've gone through 3 of those =p so yea
 
Spaceman, it makes me sad to know that you continually present your opinion as ironclad fact, despite the fact that your hearing led you to believe that your 6.5" woofers were capable of bass flat to 16 Hz, something that anyone with a reasonable amount of audio experience (or a good ear) would have realized is fairly ridiculous, if not physically impossible.

OP, you're not doing 5.1 better than the Klipsch for what it would cost to repair them. If you'd rather replace instead of repair and don't mind, ultimately, spending a lot more money, I would look into getting a 2 speaker system and receiver and adding surrounds and a sub later as budget allows. Or, if you can live without surround (which I couldn't, despite that some resident "experts" proclaim it to be unnecessary) just go with 2.1.
 
Hey FRZ, I know this might be irreverent to this thread but if you ever decide to throw the amp out, I wouldn't mind buying it off you. =]
 
Back
Top