• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Klipsch ProMedia vs Logitech

bitbum

Gawd
Joined
Mar 10, 2003
Messages
522
For gaming, and music listening what would you recommend? Logitech Z-5500 or Klipsch ProMedia Ultra 5.1, or something else comparably priced.

Btw, I also considering getting a Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeMusic to go with the speakers. Any suggestions appreciated.
 
Both speaker sets should be available at your local computer store. Try them out and decide for yourself.

The X-Fi is not a great buy unless you play a lot of games and are concerned about framerates to a significant extent. For music they're fine, don't get me wrong, but if you're buying them primarily for music and DVDs, then get better speakers before putting too much money into a soundcard.
 
If you ask around, you'll hear probably that logitech has pretty decent speakers except their sub's seem to be a bit "boomy" and behind the beat alot. The Klipsch, they're well rounded except I've heard more often than not, that people have had them die out fairly quick.

If I were you I'd save and get a receiver/HT speakers instead. Too many pro's to list. The con's would be: They'd cost more and it'll take a fair bit of research.
 
I haven't gotten my speakers yet, but I am using the X-fi extreme music and it is awesome. Makes my old 2.1 altec lansing speakers (6+ years old) sound incredible.

I had the Klipsch Pro Media 5.1 Ultra's, but returned them after reading a ton of reviews about how the amp died on them in < 1 year and how much it cost to have them repaired and shipped, etc.

I think I am going to go with the Logitech Z-5500 speakers, but only if I can find the newest model where the speaker wire is not hard wired into the speakers so that I may use my own cable if necessary for optimal placement and cable management.
 
psupef2k said:
I haven't gotten my speakers yet, but I am using the X-fi extreme music and it is awesome. Makes my old 2.1 altec lansing speakers (6+ years old) sound incredible.

I had the Klipsch Pro Media 5.1 Ultra's, but returned them after reading a ton of reviews about how the amp died on them in < 1 year and how much it cost to have them repaired and shipped, etc.

I think I am going to go with the Logitech Z-5500 speakers, but only if I can find the newest model where the speaker wire is not hard wired into the speakers so that I may use my own cable if necessary for optimal placement and cable management.
just order them from newegg. the pictures show the old ones with the rca connections, but you get the newer speaker wire ones
 
lol, another thread about the same subject over and over and over :D
 
todd2fst4u said:
just order them from newegg. the pictures show the old ones with the rca connections, but you get the newer speaker wire ones
You know that for sure? I don't want to order them and get the old ones and have them not work for my situation. Does that go for tiger direct as well?
 
would you reccomend the audigy 2zs over the xfi xtrememusic for gaming and alot of music?
 
logitechs don't have tweeters, klipsch do, i would go with klispch if you want sumthing crisp, logitech is for those ppl who just want a deal and want to have a system that sounds overpowered
 
psupef2k said:
You know that for sure? I don't want to order them and get the old ones and have them not work for my situation. Does that go for tiger direct as well?
I just got the Z-5500's from Dell (had a $35 off coupon and used my dell account for another 3% off) They are NOT hardwired. You can use whatever wires you want.

These are, by far, the best speakers I have ever owned. Money well spent. (as long as the wife doesn't find out how much I've spent that is) :eek:
 
wouldn't say overpowered, more like cheap and big for the money :)
 
viper92086 said:
logitechs don't have tweeters, klipsch do, i would go with klispch if you want sumthing crisp, logitech is for those ppl who just want a deal and want to have a system that sounds overpowered
I wonder if the logitech's amp dies in less than a year?
 
heh.. u know what i would do to fix that prob? buy a logitech system then sell all the satellites and get klipsch satellites
 
viper92086 said:
heh.. u know what i would do to fix that prob? buy a logitech system then sell all the satellites and get klipsch satellites

Interesting idea. Maybe you could find a really stupid person and convince them to trade their Klipsch satellites for your nice shiny Logitech ones - The silver look is very stylish afterall. :D
 
RailGunRiz said:
\The Klipsch, they're well rounded except I've heard more often than not, that people have had them die out fairly quick.

I definitely disagree with them dieing 'more often than not'. They might die more than other similarly priced speakers, but the reason you hear about them and possibly think that is because the people who spend so much money and have them fail are more likely to coimplain than those with working speakers.

I personally have had mine since 2002 with heavy use.
 
I've had my Promedia's since they first debuted way back in 2001 with zero issues.
 
viper92086 said:
logitechs don't have tweeters, klipsch do, i would go with klispch if you want sumthing crisp, logitech is for those ppl who just want a deal and want to have a system that sounds overpowered
WTF are you talking about no tweeters? What are the 4 sets of sats that come with the system? Subs? :rolleyes:

As far as a system that "sounds overpowered" you may wanna learn how to tune. The sub is only overpowered if you leave it in the stock position of 5. It takes all of 5 minutes with an audio track to fix it. They are great speakers for the money.

-E
 
The 5.1 Ultras are friggin awesome. Really really clean, crisp, and will get very loud without distortion. I haven't heard the Logitechs so I can't compare, but I've had my Klipsch set for 2 years or so with no problems. (except the problem with my dog eating speaker wire but that wasnt klipsh's fault.
biggrin.gif
)
 
MrE said:
WTF are you talking about no tweeters? What are the 4 sets of sats that come with the system? Subs? :rolleyes:

As far as a system that "sounds overpowered" you may wanna learn how to tune. The sub is only overpowered if you leave it in the stock position of 5. It takes all of 5 minutes with an audio track to fix it. They are great speakers for the money.

-E

They aren't dedicated tweeters buddy. My athenas have a 5.5" midrange driver and a 1" dome tweeter. Those logitechs have a 3" fullrange. I couldn't even compare them, it's really pathetic. The logitechs are okay I suppose if you like the home theater in a box type thing because it's a one solution speaker set that's easy to setup. For quality, heh, I wouldn't recommend them anymore. I've had the z-680's, and that was enough for me. I haven't heard the klipsch enough to recommend those either, but I hear the sound quality is pretty balanced overall.

For the sub, my z680's were crap there too. I couldn't imagine the bass was tightened with a larger 10" subwoofer in the same enclosure. The bass was WAY overpowering over the satellites since there was really no clear higher frequencies, or maybe i'm deaf, I don't know. It's subjective really, I just hated the fucking sound those things produced.
 
Well the sub can be tamed/tuned if you do the placement and adjustments corrected..... my older z-5500 sounded overpowering out of the box.. did I did some experiments and all is good for the money.....

BTW, those of you that said to replace the logitech's sats with the ultra's ones... it IS doable..... they do sell the Klipsch sats seperately for like 18 bucks each... BUT why in the world would you want to do that? you can just buy REAL non-computer bookshelves that is 8ohm or so and get a HUGE upgrade. Those of you who already own the logitech z-5500/680 that are thinking of getting the Klipsch for this reason, don't, toss in real bookshelves.


Although, side by side, the logitech z-5500 vs my Polk/Acoustech system, there's no comparison really, but if you can only afford the logitech, it is a good system for the money you spend to get it...

I mean my HT system cost my like twice what I paid for the logitech, and I am not done buying all the parts for it yet.. still need center and surrounds :rolleyes:
 
If I were you I'd save and get a receiver/HT speakers instead. Too many pro's to list. The con's would be: They'd cost more and it'll take a fair bit of research.

Yeah, RailGunRiz, I think I would like to look into that. YGPM.
 
I am not going to back the logitechs. However just because a speaker design uses full-range does not mean it is not good. You should check out a few well designed speakers using full-range drivers. And I have seen many 2-way designs and many more 3-way that are crap. So do not use that as a reason to credit or discount a speaker.
 
bboynitrous said:
They aren't dedicated tweeters buddy. My athenas have a 5.5" midrange driver and a 1" dome tweeter. Those logitechs have a 3" fullrange. I couldn't even compare them, it's really pathetic. The logitechs are okay I suppose if you like the home theater in a box type thing because it's a one solution speaker set that's easy to setup. For quality, heh, I wouldn't recommend them anymore. I've had the z-680's, and that was enough for me. I haven't heard the klipsch enough to recommend those either, but I hear the sound quality is pretty balanced overall.

For the sub, my z680's were crap there too. I couldn't imagine the bass was tightened with a larger 10" subwoofer in the same enclosure. The bass was WAY overpowering over the satellites since there was really no clear higher frequencies, or maybe i'm deaf, I don't know. It's subjective really, I just hated the fucking sound those things produced.
Alright, first off, the topic the OP posted was for gaming and music. You are talking home theatre aka movies. Different topics. Second, just because the sat's are "full range" don't make them any less capable of sound reproduction. You assume that a full range driver is what? Incapable of dynamic range production? Look at the frequency response for the Logitech Satellites: 3” polished aluminum phase plug drivers. Top end is 20kHz. The Klipsch with a 3" and a 1" for the sats has the same 20kHz roll off.

If I wanted to hook my Reference Series speakers and My Denon receiver up to my computer, that would be one thing cause you cannot compare the two. For home Computer speakers, the Logitechs are just fine which is what the OP was asking opinions on.

-E
 
the promedias were released in 03, wondering if they coming with a new model. Overal i think the klipsch r better as long as yours is not a defective unit.
 
I just picked up the Z5500s from ZZF for 236 shipped. That's a really tough deal to beat. Anyway, they will suit my apartment setup very well. I think the deciding factor for me was the built in hardware Dolby/DTS decoder. For music and games I don't think you could go wrong with them.
 
PCMusicGuy said:
I just picked up the Z5500s from ZZF for 236 shipped. That's a really tough deal to beat. Anyway, they will suit my apartment setup very well. I think the deciding factor for me was the built in hardware Dolby/DTS decoder. For music and games I don't think you could go wrong with them.

How do you like your set up, tell about ergonomics ect. Don't forget to keep the sub away 2ft from hard drives and monitor, huge magnet.
 
MrE said:
Alright, first off, the topic the OP posted was for gaming and music. You are talking home theatre aka movies. Different topics. Second, just because the sat's are "full range" don't make them any less capable of sound reproduction. You assume that a full range driver is what? Incapable of dynamic range production? Look at the frequency response for the Logitech Satellites: 3” polished aluminum phase plug drivers. Top end is 20kHz. The Klipsch with a 3" and a 1" for the sats has the same 20kHz roll off.

If I wanted to hook my Reference Series speakers and My Denon receiver up to my computer, that would be one thing cause you cannot compare the two. For home Computer speakers, the Logitechs are just fine which is what the OP was asking opinions on.

-E
I'm not talking about just home theater. Especially for the fact that I have stereo speakers and listen to music almost conitinuously all day. Just because they list the the response for the speakers at 20kHZ doesn't mean it will drive it to that. And if it does, that doesn't also mean it will have the quality that you may expect. I don't assume that it's incapable, but I assume there is quality loss. I expect a dedicated driver to have a higher rolloff of certain frequencies because of the response of said driver's size. However that's all dependant on the crossover and the quality of the driver.

For a set of speakers, a receiver i'd imagine the klipsch to be better especially for the price of $199. If they are prone to failure, then I don't know. As long as you don't have anything to compare those logitechs to, then you'll be okay there.

The logitechs only saviour is that decoder and the vast amount of inputs. That's one thing I loved about those speakers. There was so much crap I could hook up to them.
 
Back
Top