Keylogger/malware?

munkle

[H]F Junkie
So I recently had my debit card number stolen and the only thing I used it at was gas pumps and entered it once into paypal. So I reformatted my pc just in case I had a keylogger/malware. So the other day I signed into an email account that hasn't been used in over 6 years and has never received email and has never been used or entered on any site.

After just signing into that email after 6 years of never touching it or it ever being used it started getting spam a couple days later.

I scanned my data drives and entire system with MSE but nothing came up so I'm not sure how this email account would start to get spam unless I had a keylogger/malware somewhere.

I had some issues also that leads me to believe I have had a keylogger on my system. I have done several deep scans with MSE and nothing shows. If someone has a good way of checking for keyloggers I would be interested. A couple of my google hits when I searched about it said there are keyloggers that can't be detected. :(

Wipe system and reinstall then change all your passwords using a different trusted machine.

That's the only way to be sure other than running a sniffer on the network looking for the logger's output to be sent.

Also, make sure there are no exclusions in the scanning software.

Wipe system and reinstall then change all your passwords using a different trusted machine.

That's the only way to be sure other than running a sniffer on the network looking for the logger's output to be sent.

I did that (except I changed all my passwords on the reformated pc right after reformat) and it was after the reformat that I logged into that email that started to get spam, they only thing I can think of is that my data drives have the keylogger/malware since I didn't reformat those only the os drive. Problem is I need to use this pc so I have to get rid of what ever it is finding this stuff out.

Is there an av/antispyware that is good at finding keyloggers because MSE didn't find anything and there are no exclusions set.

The real question is, are you gonna keep switching malware suites until one finally says it found something? There are things as false positives, so you are really just asking a question with an obvious answer. Try a few other well known scanners and if they come up clean, then it is unlikely you are infected. Otherwise, wipe all your drives and start fresh. You mentioned the unused 6 year old email account. Try setting up a new yahoo or hotmail account and wait. You get spam in those even if they are never actually used. Also, do you use IM software. I get more spam when my IM is actively used.

My favorite Malware removal programs: MCE (as a free option) or Norton for paid services, Malwarebytes, Spybot S&D, and TrendMicro's HouseCall software. Sometimes CCleaner is used when I can't manually get rid of something.

Back