Just woundering

KoZLop

[H]ard|Gawd
I just got a new mouse for christmas and its one of those optical mouses. Just woundering is it all right if the red light stays on when computer is off? Will it burn out quicker or something?

Not like im going crazy or anything.

Originally posted by KoZLop
I just got a new mouse for christmas and its one of those optical mouses. Just woundering is it all right if the red light stays on when computer is off? Will it burn out quicker or something?

Not like im going crazy or anything.

Your USB port is still getting powr, that's all. It's nothing to worry about. :)

Thanks I just didnt want a borken mouse after paying 50$ on the damn thing.

Originally posted by KoZLop
Thanks I just didnt want a borken mouse after paying 50$ on the damn thing.

I understand. If the LED does burn out prematurly, you can always replace it yourself. They're like $1 at Radio Smack. :) Plus, LEDs have lifes in the thousands of hours usually, unless you live on a giant magnet. :p

Originally posted by ’m‚³‚ñ
I understand. If the LED does burn out prematurly, you can always replace it yourself. They're like $1 at Radio Smack. :) Plus, LEDs have lifes in the thousands of hours usually, unless you live on a giant magnet. :p
How do magnets affect LED lifetime?

I've seen a couple computers that do that. Haven't heard any problems from leaving it on. As far as the LED burning out... ehh... doubtful. I think you'll wear your mouse out before that happens. My computers stay on 24/7 and my mouse is always lit up. Been going on about 4 years now with a Logitech Optical mouse... no problems.

Originally posted by EnderW
How do magnets affect LED lifetime?

Some LED's, or so I've heard, will die when you magnet it. :) I'm not actually sure if this is true or not, though. :p

Originally posted by ’m‚³‚ñ
Some LED's, or so I've heard, will die when you magnet it. :) I'm not actually sure if this is true or not, though. :p

odd?

If you would like to wade through a technical article:
http://compoundsemiconductor.net/articles/magazine/8/1/4/1
manufacturers are claiming 100 000 hours (~11.4 years, 24/7/365)
now the article goes on about white led's not being great blah blah, but if you look at the data for red leds, they drop to about 90%, and then the curve flattens out.

so what i'm trying to say is that you mouse will be outdated before the led burns out. :)

Back