Just wondering.... (shared calendars)

Destonomos

[H]ard|Gawd
If you have a home network with or without nice networking gear (cisco firewall/router/switch vs netgear router from wally world) is there a way to host a calendar kind of like Exchange does over the network that multiple users can get into if you have it on a server so everyone knows everyones schedules?

Now here is the kicker. Me and financee will be getting blackberry's down the road. Is there a way to log into the server on the blackberry to see the calendar as well?

I think you need Exchange unfortunately. I been looking into this as well when I got my Blackjack 2 so I can put my class schedule, tests, work schedule on my phone and the only way to do it is with Exchange. You can easily make the calender in Outlook without exchange, but you need to connect the phone to the computer so it can talk to Outlook and sync the calender. I have yet to find a way where this can be done over the internet without Exchange.

This is one of the features that make Exchange so favorable. I doubt theres any other way to do it.

interesting let me know how it works.

i'd imagine you would still need a cable to sync the phones which is where Exchange + BES has it beat =)

Bah still doesnt help me and Blackjack!!! O well, at least you have solution.

You may have already explored this, but an online calendar sounds like it would fulfill your needs.

Maybe this combo will work - google calendar + google app for your blackberry. Your buds just need a gmail account to access your shared calendar.

www.google/calendar

Google Calendar
You can sync information in Google Calendar with your BlackBerry calendar, so whether you add new appointments from your phone or from your computer, you always have access to your up-to-date schedule. To download and install Google Sync for free, visit m.google.com/sync from your BlackBerry web browser.

Thats a good program as well. If this blackberry one ends up not working I will try that. Thing is I use hotmail. I guess I could switch but I've had this hotmail account forever....

Its a good thing I registered the same name with gmail when it came out so no one could snatch it up. My email is so easy its [email protected]
and [email protected] :).

The blackberry unit software will also let you transfer files from your PC to your blackberry, do shared contacts from the phone list, and also do email. They only thing from making this perfect for me thus far is I need to find out if you can make entries to the shared stuff from the phone. If you can't then that is a deal breaker for me.

If you can't make entries to the software from the phone then its going to be google apps. You can do email with google but can you also do shared contacts?

doesn't the blackberry desktop redirector sync your contacts and calendar?
there is also a free personal bes server i saw once, but i still think that has to be installed on exchange.

Back