Just ordered my first TFT

Simon

Weaksauce
Its a ASUS 22" VE228T LED Widescreen Monitor with 1920x1080 Resolution, 10000000:1 Contrast Ratio, 250cd/m² Brightness, 5ms Response Time, 1x DVI-D Input, 1x VGA Input, Speakers, 3 Years Warranty.

Now Ive been an avid CRT user for 20 odd years all the LCD displays I have used just look crap compared to a proper crt (But saying that a cheap crt looks truely dreadful which is probably where all the hate comes from). I know I have made a mistake buying this asus without even seeing the image it displays.

Will it be ok for games? I was a little worried with the 5ms response time but I got a good deal on this display. I normally play starcraft 2, left 4 dead, battlefield bad company, that sort of thing.

Also what if I lower the resolution from 1920x1080? My pc isnt that great. i2500k, 8gig mushkin silverline (Well that stuff is ok) but the graphics card is a total bottleneck as its only a old g92 8800 gts . So if I lower the resolution will it stretch or skew the image? Also what about old games that dont support widescreen?

Also does anyone know where to get a replacement power board for a mitsubushi 2060u crt monitor? :eek: as for the past few years I have been buying old quality crts on ebay but they only seem to last a few years before failing and I cant find a decent quality crt locally so had to make the jump to tft.

You'll most likely notice a difference coming from a CRT. If I were you I would have gone with the 120hz LCD displays. They are more pricey but will get you closer to that CRT gaming experience you're used to.

so is my display only 60hz? Should I set all my refresh rates to 60hz hz? I ran my crt at 1280x960 @ 100hz

So what about games that i cant run stable at 1920x1080? I plan to upgrade my graphics card in time for rage

LCD's generally look terrible when not running at their native resolution. But at lower resolutions they do support 75hz I think.

22" is a bit small imho. 5ms response is more than fast enough for anything you can throw at it.

Back