• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Just My Aquaero..

D3DAiM

Limp Gawd
Joined
Sep 30, 2006
Messages
413
So I just bought my Aquaero, imported from Germany to the US, from Sharka Computer today.

It performs just great and I am happy with it, except there seems to be this little "burn" mark from manufacturing on the glass (in the upper right) that surrounds the LCD When I look under the LCD's glass from the side, I can see this metal disk that's exactly underneath it:

rma1.jpg


rma2.jpg


So what do you think..?

I don't think I can be under warranty of Aqua Computers because I am in the US and I don't really feel like troubling Sharka Computer with such a minute defect. They only have around 2 or 3 other Aquaeros.

Maybe I'd be able to get a replacement Crystalfontz LCD? That's what the top part is right? Aqua Computers doesn't manufacture teh LCD correct?
 
hard to tell the size of the damage without a pic, but if the pixels it (the burn?)covers are greater than their dead pixel policy, i bet you could swing a RMA
 
Send it back and get a new one, for such an expensive piece of equipment you shouldn't have a defect like that.
 
warmace said:
hard to tell the size of the damage without a pic, but if the pixels it (the burn?)covers are greater than their dead pixel policy, i bet you could swing a RMA
It's a burn mark on the glass, it doesn't cover any pixels, but it is visible with teh faceplate on because the faceplate doesn't cover the entire screen down to the pixels.

I will have the pictures up in 10-15 minutes guys.
 
dont RMA just send it to sharkas... have him RMA it. if he has another one...
 
Yeah I was thinking about it.

Damn, I've waited about a month for them to get their shipment in and this happens..

What luck..
 
Dont worry to much. when i first got my aquaero from sharka, i asked about it and all the aquaero's sharka had the time all had that burn mark on it. It doesnt affect any visual appearance once the Aquaero is on. I had mine almost a year now and still doin its job.
 
So after a year, Sharka Computer is still getting these Aquaeros with burn marks on them?

Wait, so that must mean that all the aquaeros being manufactured have these marks?
 
D3DAiM said:
Wait, so that must mean that all the aquaeros being manufactured have these marks?
Right, every(!) Aquaero VFD has it.

I think it's worthless to mention that even every other VFD driven device has it.

You could hide it with a color foil and/or your own front plate where the display-cutout is smaller.
 
Shoggy said:
Right, every(!) Aquaero VFD has it.

I think it's worthless to mention that even every other VFD driven device has it.

You could hide it with a color foil and/or your own front plate where the display-cutout is smaller.
You did a ver nice job on the faceplate :)

I am interested to see how a color foil method would work out.

Thanks.

d3d
 
Yeah, that's a characteristic of ALL vfd displays. In order to get an Aquaero without it, you'd have to get the LCD version.
 
D3DAiM said:
I am interested to see how a color foil method would work out.
You have noticed that I'm already using a blue foil? :D
 
You just put the filter/foil in front of the VFD. You can get a free sample booklet with a bunch of colors from Rosco . Down at the bottom of that page you can send away for it. Took a long time to get mine, but the sizes of the samples are perfrect for an aquaero.
 
D3DAiM said:
Any tutorial on the foil?

:)
Not really because it's dead easy.
I have fixed the foil with duct tape on the back side.

ae_folie_befestigung.png
 
lol, wouldn't have thought it'd be THAT easy.

So, where'd you get your foil? Are there any brands I should look for. Rosco? Thanks. :)

d3d
 
I got my foil from eBay.
1 Euro for a ~20x20cm piece.
It is from LEE. Seems to be a popular company for spotlight filters.
 
hmm..I'll look around

I'm in USA :)

so..this foil reduced the appearance of the burn yeah?
 
Yes, and it also makes the "pixel-blocks" almost invisible. As you can see on my picture it's a very very dark blue and you can only see the characters.

You could search for a shop with light-equipment. Maybe they can provide you with small sample-book:

lee_filters.jpg


The samples a re big enough to cover the display.

My foil has the ID-No. 200.
 
Shoggy said:
Yes, and it also makes the "pixel-blocks" almost invisible. As you can see on my picture it's a very very dark blue and you can only see the characters.

You could search for a shop with light-equipment. Maybe they can provide you with small sample-book:

lee_filters.jpg


The samples a re big enough to cover the display.

My foil has the ID-No. 200.
Thanks! :D
 
Back
Top