Just got WRT54GS, got some quistions.

Diablo2K

Supreme [H]ardness
Got to be honest, I dont know all these temrs for networking and such so please forgive me if I call something by the wrong name, feel free to correct me however.

My old Belkin 54g died so I headed out to wal-Mart for a replacement, I got a Linksys WRT54GS. I am looking around on the forums and have a couple quistions.
I had NAT and the Firewall disabled on the Belkin, I guess it was just acting as a Access Point, Problem was I could not access the router to change any setting and nothing I did would reset it back to its default settings. I could only get a single computer to connect to it at a time but that was all I needed. It was like it was not there at all when I tried to look for it in the settings but it worked for what I wanted.

I keep hearing about DD-WRT and was wondering if I should use it or not, I would like to have the same access i had before but still be able to access the router to change things if needed and also have more then one comuter connected at a time, also would like to be able to get internet on a Game console as I would really like to get either a PSP or Xbox 360, or even both. I use torrent downloads alot as well as do alot of online gaming, I dont want to have to go in and do port forwarding and all that, I have never been able to get it to work anyway.

Just not sure of what settings I should use/disable to get the least restrictive access to the net with the least amount of work.

One last quistion, are high gain antenaes worth the money? I am getting an excellent signal at my computer, but I have had to mount my USB adapter high up on the wall to get that good of a signal, I would like to get it everywhere when I get my 360 or PSP.

It should have NATting and the firewall enabled by default. Most of the out-of-the-box defaults are probably fine, but you'll want to change the wireless security settings. WPA or WPA2 with a strong password would be fine. The PSP can't do WPA2 yet, so you'd be limited to WPA if you wanted to use it. Also, some older PC wifi cards don't do WPA2.

Your best bet is probably to download the latest official Linksys firmware, play with all of the features, and then upgrade to DD-WRT or something else when you feel comfortable. Depending on the version of your WRT54GS, you might have to flash to a DD-WRT mini version and then go up to the full version. That can take a bit of time to figure out if you're not familiar with *nix. DD-WRT is fun to play with, but 90% of people don't need anything that it does.

It should have NATting and the firewall enabled by default. Most of the out-of-the-box defaults are probably fine, but you'll want to change the wireless security settings. WPA or WPA2 with a strong password would be fine. The PSP can't do WPA2 yet, so you'd be limited to WPA if you wanted to use it. Also, some older PC wifi cards don't do WPA2.

Your best bet is probably to download the latest official Linksys firmware, play with all of the features, and then upgrade to DD-WRT or something else when you feel comfortable. Depending on the version of your WRT54GS, you might have to flash to a DD-WRT mini version and then go up to the full version. That can take a bit of time to figure out if you're not familiar with *nix. DD-WRT is fun to play with, but 90% of people don't need anything that it does.

Thats what I was thinking.

I tried setting up WPA, funny thing is they have 4 options for WPA, they have WPA Personal, WPA Buisness, WPA2 Personal, and WPA2 Buisness. I tried WPA Personal and windows would not recognize it as anything, it just would not connect or give me the chance to enter a password. So for now I am useing WEP, I was useing WPA fine before on my belkin router.

well anyone who uses torrents should upgrade to dd-wrt because the wrt54g has problems of keeping the logs and thus overloading the router.

Back