Just got 595's

Glyphic

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Apr 19, 2004
Messages
1,626
I just got my HD595's, been busy playing with my soundcard settings trying to get things to sound right. I was wondering if it matters whether I plug my headphones in through my control pod on my Z-5500's, and directly into the sound card? Other than haveing easier volume control, I don't think I notice any difference. So far on my X-fi, I had to disable CMSS because it sounds TERRIBLE. It made everything muddy if it had any bass too it. any suggestions? This is my first pair of high end phones.
 
Nice headphones! Btw let it burn in first and you will get a better sound. Try connecting your card to the control pod using digital and maybe you'll hear a difference. If you are connecting your card to the control pod using analogue, I think that it is better if you connect you headphones directly to the sound card.
 
Usually the direct to card will have better sound as headphone outs on speakers can add noise and degrade quality.

But if you dont notice a difference, more power to ya!


With the XFI, turn off all the extra stuff (EAX, Crystalizer, CMSS) for listening to music. All that just adds crappy fluff to the sound that is only appreciated in games.

I use my XFI with the HD555 and turning off those things makes a big difference!
 
I agree about turning off all the XFi effects; but, disagree about the headphone connection if using digital to the Z5500 receiver-- go with headphone directly into the receiver. The Z5500 has a great DAC, and you get to use the control pod features.
 
With the XFI, turn off all the extra stuff (EAX, Crystalizer, CMSS) for listening to music. All that just adds crappy fluff to the sound that is only appreciated in games.
Couldn't have said it better myself.

Also, having windows set to "headphones" with Creative Lab's can cause awful sound.
 
I agree about turning off all the XFi effects; but, disagree about the headphone connection if using digital to the Z5500 receiver-- go with headphone directly into the receiver. The Z5500 has a great DAC, and you get to use the control pod features.

To use Z-5500's DAC you need to use digital connection, if you use analogue, you are using the card's DAC.
 
How good can the DAC in the Z5500 control pod be? I'd think the X-fi's one is better? Although the pod could provide better amplification...
 
If you do have a Z-5500 and the 5500 does indeed use the same DAC as the 54xx series, then you're better off using digital->z-5500->headphones. For me the difference doesn't seem to be just a little bit more pronounced in comparison to an Audigy4, which uses the same DAC as the X-Fi. You also get much better amplification from the z-5500.
 
the only problem is this stupid flexijack, it becomes a pain when I want to switch from digital to mic on my X-Fi
 
Yes they should just give more I/O on the card, not sharing them. Btw you can set your onboard as your primary recording device and you can attach your mic to the onboard.
 
I think it basically came down to which set of speakers you were using. A few years ago, the headphone jacks were CRAP. If you really serious about headphone audio, then a nice amp to open up your 595s would be a good choice. You dont have to break the bank either on amps, you can prob get a good deal on the forums. If not, send MrX a tell, i know he makes AWESOME Portable and home amps.

However, if it sounds ok to you, then ignorance is bliss (not calling you ignorant, just using the saying). I have read a ton on it and the general rule is that straight from your sound card is best. Take that with a grain of salt, as it seems there has been a lot of upgrades in the headphone jacks on the control pods.
 
Back
Top