Just fell for a battle.net phishing

BETA.

2[H]4U
I got fooled into thinking that somebody changed my battle.net account. I wasn't too sure that I even have a battle.net account. It looked really legit though... anyways yea yea i was dumb enough to click the link in the email and enter in my login information.

Google mail let me know that someone from an IP in China accessed my account, however while that person was snooping through my emails I changed my password to the account. I also changed all my other account passwords that I could think of immediately as well.

Am I still in immediate danger? If so, what should I consider doing?

Last edited:
I dont know if these guys do this kind of thing but check all your redirection forwarding settings in gmail, change your passwords again. Does blizzard have a heads-up feature?

And for future reference SSL; at the top, if it says https://www.battle.net, that's all but impossible to spoof or intercept.

Never ever click those links.

What I do, if I get something from say payal that says my account needs attention and they provide a link, I go to the website in a browser and then log into the account and see if there is a need or not.

What I do, if I get something from say payal that says my account needs attention and they provide a link, I go to the website in a browser and then log into the account and see if there is a need or not.
In addition to this popular sites like PayPal, eBay, etc have links where you can forward the spoofing email to so they can get it blocked or shut down. I always forward these types of emails to them. I hate to see anyone fall victim to thieves.

For these two sites just forward the fraudulent email to either [email protected] or [email protected]

Last edited:
I've never actually been victim to this but yeah do what MinPins said and forward that email to the company. I like to use an addon called Web Of Trust (WOT) so I dont fall victim to these sort of things.

I dont know if these guys do this kind of thing but check all your redirection forwarding settings in gmail, change your passwords again. Does blizzard have a heads-up feature?

And for future reference SSL; at the top, if it says https://www.battle.net, that's all but impossible to spoof or intercept.

That's exactly how the site looks like. The email came from [email protected] and in the email's body has all the jibber jabber of my account's PW has been changed with a link to https://www.battle.net that's why I fell for it, it was pretty sneaky, I didn't notice the https.

Anyways I checked my forwarding and it looks like they didn't change any forwarding settings.

I never usually do either, but this looked really legit... i am just gonna have to take this as another lesson and now be even more cautious :eek:

In addition to this popular sites like PayPal, eBay, etc have links where you can forward the spoofing email to so they can get it blocked or shut down. I always forward these types of emails to them. I hate to see anyone fall victim to thieves.

For these two sites just forward the fraudulent email to either [email protected] or [email protected]

Hmmm, that's cool will do

I've never actually been victim to this but yeah do what MinPins said and forward that email to the company. I like to use an addon called Web Of Trust (WOT) so I dont fall victim to these sort of things.

I'll look into WOT, thanks.

if you do have a real battle.net account, and you have an ipad/phone/etc. or an android smartphone i'd grab the battle.net authenticator. it's free and almost guarantees your account is secure.

I got fooled into thinking that somebody changed my battle.net account. I wasn't too sure that I even have a battle.net account. It looked really legit though... anyways yea yea i was dumb enough to click the link in the email and enter in my login information.

Google mail let me know that someone from an IP in China accessed my account, however while that person was snooping through my emails I changed my password to the account. I also changed all my other account passwords that I could think of immediately as well.

Am I still in immediate danger? If so, what should I consider doing?

I get the Blizzard phish emails constantly, and every one I've seen has had typos, Engrish, and/or stupid URLs. "You account is has been compromised! Please logon to http://www.blizzard-warcraft-battle-authenticator.com to verify your account." Sorry, but I have little sympathy for people who fall for these.

If they accessed your Gmail, that implies that you used the same password there. Update any account you have that uses that password, and make sure you don't reuse the same password on multiple sites.

if you do have a real battle.net account, and you have an ipad/phone/etc. or an android smartphone i'd grab the battle.net authenticator. it's free and almost guarantees your account is secure.

In the app's settings, take a screenshot of or write down the serial number. If your phone dies and you need to remove the authenticator from your account, having the serial number allows them to do that instantly. If you don't have that, you'll need to fax them ID or something.

Thanks. i'll get the ASAP out. I think I really do have a battle.net account, just not under this email. DOH! I sign up for so much crap accounts that I forget about them, so sometimes I am unsure.

I get the Blizzard phish emails constantly, and every one I've seen has had typos, Engrish, and/or stupid URLs. "You account is has been compromised! Please logon to http://www.blizzard-warcraft-battle-authenticator.com to verify your account." Sorry, but I have little sympathy for people who fall for these.

If they accessed your Gmail, that implies that you used the same password there. Update any account you have that uses that password, and make sure you don't reuse the same password on multiple sites.

In the app's settings, take a screenshot of or write down the serial number. If your phone dies and you need to remove the authenticator from your account, having the serial number allows them to do that instantly. If you don't have that, you'll need to fax them ID or something.

This person must have been decently educated in english because the only thing that I could flag, grammatically after taking a second look was my name wasn't capitalized.

I deleted the freakin email though after I marked it as spam, so I can't report it to those spoof sties, DAMN IT.

I normally make one strong password for all of my accounts. But, I really should consider different passwords for each and every accounts now. Strong passwords only protect against PW crackers not dumb user errors! :p What's a good website to go to that'll generate strong passwords for me? Another challenge of using multiple accounts each with their own passwords is having to remember them all. i assume writing them down on paper and stashing them in a safe place would be the best way, 2nd to just remembering them all?

Scotty, could you elaborate on this Untangle?

I get tons of these saying there's an investigation/fraud/password change on my WoW account, then I remember that I don't play WoW. lol

I normally make one strong password for all of my accounts. But, I really should consider different passwords for each and every accounts now. Strong passwords only protect against PW crackers not dumb user errors! :p What's a good website to go to that'll generate strong passwords for me? Another challenge of using multiple accounts each with their own passwords is having to remember them all. i assume writing them down on paper and stashing them in a safe place would be the best way, 2nd to just remembering them all?

http://www.pctools.com/guides/password/ is one I've used before. One option is to have a good "base" password, then append something specific to that account onto the password. For example, I just generated sP?y5cas on that page. For your Blizzard WoW account, use BsP?y5casW instead. For your HardForum password, use HsP?y5casF. You've got different, strong passwords on each site, but you really only have to remember one password and a little bit about each site you want to use it on. If someone were actually looking at your password rather than just automatically trying it on other sites, they could probably figure out your scheme. Rather than adding H and F for your HardForum account, you could use I and G (or G and E, or J and H, etc.) so it's not so obvious. Try to use some scheme that's easy for you to figure out, but not completely obvious to a total stranger.

KeePass is a good tool for generating and storing passwords too.

PhishTank is operated by the OpenDNS guys. If you use OpenDNS, it should block any domains that are solely for phishing (http://www.blizzard-warcraft-battle-authenticator.com/), though it can't help against hijacked sites on otherwise good domains (http://randomsite.com/igothacked/paypal.com).

Back