Just bought a nettop, how to backup xp?

V4oLDbOY

Gawd
I recently purchased a nettop for my girlfriend and intend to install windows 7 on it since I have an extra copy. I know its possible to do it via usb, but how can I make a recovery disc or installation disc that can be used via usb for the initial xp installation.

Its the Aspire Revo 1600 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883103228&nm_mc=OTC-RSS

I know it probably is better off without windows 7 as it is pretty weak, she basically wants the UI of windows 7 not the functionality. I might upgrade the memory to 2gb later on if she ends up using it a lot.

Also, if I buy a usb dvd drive for it, can that be used to install the OS. I would assume so, but I ask because I dont know.

Next time you turn it on, go into the bios, and see if there's an option to boot from other device or boot from usb device. Most newish computers will (even if not listed).

Go to the Acer support page and enter your serial number.......drill into the docs to find what manufacturer makes the hard drive in it, and if it's a Seagate or Western Digital, they offer a version of Acronis for free on thier sites(and if it's some other drive, download the free trial of Acronis right from Acronis ). Make a full drive image, and a boot cd..........and your good to go.

Last edited:
Also, if I buy a usb dvd drive for it, can that be used to install the OS. I would assume so, but I ask because I dont know.

It's F10, F11, or F12 on this to pick your boot device. USB DVD's are recognized. This is a great little unit.

thanks, I'll try to make the backup as I got it hooked up and I am sort of jealous. I'm trying to get a dell dimenison desktop with similar specs working with my HDTV while this little box worked perfectly at 1080p.

Should I uninstall all the crap that came with the xp install first then make the backup? Or should I just leave it pristine so not to mess anything up without a proper backup?

Well I dont know what happened but when I started the acer up it said it was missing a file windows/conifg something. So I'm just gonna install windows 7 32 bit. I used an old IDE HDD enclosure and hooked it up to an extra sony DVD drive I have instead of the HDD and it worked perfectly, recognized it as a Drive and installing windows 7 as I type. The acer has a windows xp cd key so I assume I can reinstall it later if it is slower with windows 7 which I read it is a bit slower. But if my girlfriend likes the UI a lot more then It'll stay.

Back