just a noob with a simple question...

Inferno96

n00b
Joined
Dec 27, 2005
Messages
10
Hey guys... I'm about to built a PC and I've already purcahsed some parts, but I have a few quick questions about overclocking, and yes, I have read up on it a lot.

Okay, so I'm thinking about getting an AMD 64 3700+ since I heard its an amazing overclocker and its very easy to get it to 2.7ghz+ on stock cooling. Basically, I was told to go into the bios and set these settings:

Set the FSB to 250mhz
Up the vcore to 1.5v
Set the hyper transport to 4x
set the ram divider to 4:5
and leave the multiplier at what it is stock.

Now this seems MUCH, MUCH easier then doing what I've read up on, just beacuse all the crap that I read sounds so damn confusing, especially a thread over at DFI Street, I thought I knew the basics until they just revealed 100 new things. So I was wondering if it is possible to just set all that junk to those settings and leave it alone. Also, I heard that overclocking my ram has really no effect on A64s.

Is there any chance my CPU will fry with 1.5v of voltage? cause' I really don't want that happening.

Last question, which of these two mobos (ASUS A8N-SLI Mobo or DFI LANParty IT Ultra-D) is a better choice? I heard the DFI is much better, although it isnt ready to go right out of the box and you need to mess around with some bios settings for it to work, is this true?

Thanks

Also, heres my "soon-to-be" pc spec:

AMD 64 3700+
ASUS A8N-SLI Mobo or DFI LANParty IT Ultra-D
250 GB Seagate Barracuda SATA HDD
2 GB (1GB x 2) Corsair XMS RAM
eVGA 7800GT CO
Sony DRU-800A
Enermax Noisetaker 485Watt PSU
and all this in an Antec P180 Case.
 
Looks good man.

Take a look at eclipse's guide -
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=888001

Works wonders.

As for motherboard choice both are good boards from what I've read. If you're an hardcore tweaker go with the DFI...of course its not SLI out of the box (requires a mod) and requires more tweaking. I'm barely learning about DFI since I just got on.

If you want simplicity in overclocking and stability..I think the Asus is obviously a good choice too.

1.5v? no frying there...but make sure your cooling is good. May I suggest an Xp/SI-120, XP-90...or my new favorite the synthe ninja (works well with Antec P180).
 
If you go with the ultra D suggest you go with the 535w enermax and not the 485w enermax.
 
I think I'll just go with the ASUS, oh and thanks guys for not being such noob haters, I was expecting all kinds of hate... you guys are awesome :)

Anyways, what do ya'll think of just setting the BIOS to those settings to avoid doing it myself and rebooting 11ty billion times?
 
Read, Read, & Read. I don't think the chip will fry @ 1.5 but make you have good cooling.
I had a 3700+ that was a DOG! I mean this chip was bad, but everynow and then you get that. I here a lot of members still buying the 3000 & 3200's to OC a lot. If your new to DFI I am sure you will get much use out of this link. Let us know how it turns out
DFI Street Don't go cheap on the power supply either :)
 
fenderltd said:
Read, Read, & Read. I don't think the chip will fry @ 1.5 but make you have good cooling.
I had a 3700+ that was a DOG! I mean this chip was bad, but everynow and then you get that. I here a lot of members still buying the 3000 & 3200's to OC a lot. If your new to DFI I am sure you will get much use out of this link. Let us know how it turns out
DFI Street Don't go cheap on the power supply either :)
I'll probably be using the stock heatsink although I have a p180 which is pretty good at keeping the case cool, or so I hear. I'll be going with the ASUS and I'll be getting an enermax noisetaker 485w psu.
 
antec p180 is fairly good at case temps.

Though with stock cooling, I'd be hesitant to go 1.5v+...but then again, if its under 55C (imo) and you no stability issues then it should be fine.
 
so you're thinking that 1.5v is too much on stock cooling? Hmmm...

I might just start at like 1.4v and see if its stable, then go up one by one.


But what do you guys think of me just going into the bios and setting the stuff to what I posted in my first thread instead of taking the extremly long way?
 
I don't recall the 3700 being that stellar of an overclocker, more like average. The 3000 and 3200, those are the two great overclockers that stand out in my mind.
 
I have a 3500+ and I have it at 230mhz with a 10 X multi.
Rig is in Sig

I want to push it further (it's on stock cooling) but am not sure what changing some of the setting will do for me. Things like the HTT scare me. and Vcore really scares me.
I have read eclipes' guide and found it helpful but being a newb I have questions and would love for some step by step help to bring this baby even higher (safely).

Anyone who thinks they can help, please PM me. :)
 
hey well i was just going to say that if you were really lookin into OCing check out the opteron series.

and also at first boot up ive heard that it isnt a good idea to overlcock.
 
I concur the Opteron route. Particularly the 144,146, 148 ones. SIngle core - probably cheaper than the 3700+ and capable of reaching same/higher speeds.
 
HTT, or HyperTransporT, stops working well above 1000MHz. So just make sure your HTT multiplier x your FSB < 1000MHz. Not that hard to figure out.

Stock cooling at 1.5V won't necessarily be dangerous, but it'll certainly be hot, and loud. Better to spend a little extra on a heatsink/fan. Zalmans are good, as are Thermalright XP90 or XP120, depending on what case you have... 120 needs a rooooomie case, imo.

As for the ram divider... it depends on what your memory is capable of running at. For me, I get better benchmarks running my ram synchronious (1:1) at 260MHz, 2.5-4-4-10 than I do with it asychronious (5:6) at 215MHz 2-3-3-6.

Short answer, yes, you can probably make do with the settings you have there provided you have a chip that will overclock 25% without an issue. You may find that you aren't so lucky though, I also suggest you check out Opterons as an alternative.
 
Well, the Opteron is actually more expensive then my 3700 according to newegg.

Thanks for explaining all that to me, btw I heard that I shouldn't overclock for like a week after I get it and I should run prime95 or w/e overnight.
 
Back
Top