Ive been receiving virues in my emial for the last 4 days...

masshole

[H]ard|Gawd
I've scanned my PC via norton, trend micros online virus scanner. Ive scanned in safe mode, ran trojan hunters, checked my registry and everything else ice czar has suggested. For the past 3-4 days Ive been receiving e-mail with the W32.Netsky.P@mm virus.

Heres what is reads:

Source: sample01.pif
Description: The email attachment sample01.pif is infected with the W32.Netsky.P@mm virus.
Click for more information about this virus : W32.Netsky.P@mm

AND THIS:

Source: C:\DOCUME~1\CHRIST~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\CC1E2.tmp
Description: The file C:\Documents and Settings\Christopher Massa\Local Settings\Temp\CC1E2.tmp is infected with the W32.Netsky.P@mm!enc virus.
Click for more information about this virus : W32.Netsky.P@mm!enc.

HERES ANOTHER:

Source: C:\DOCUME~1\CHRIST~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\CC1E0.tmp
Description: The file C:\Documents and Settings\Christopher Massa\Local Settings\Temp\CC1E0.tmp is infected with the W32.Netsky.P@mm!enc virus.
Click for more information about this virus : W32.Netsky.P@mm!enc

Does this mean I HAVE THE VIRUS, or is it trying to get into my PC? I have checked every folder and can done everything I can imagine (expect for formatting) and I still get these emails (only in ONE of my outlook e-mail accounts (I have two). Can anyone shed some light on this subject?

Thanks.

try disabling system restore ... then run the anti-virus ... could be hiding there ...

or there could be people who have you in their address book that are infected ...

No, you're probably being spoofed...I get those all the time, annoying as hell. If a virus scan comes out clean, I wouldn't worry about it :)

Thanks I appreciate the input. Like I said it's totally random and annoying. I tried disabling system restore (twice) and ran all the virus scanners you can think of, all of which had negative contact with any viruses.

But I dont know why Norton would say this:

Source: C:\DOCUME~1\CHRIST~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\ CC1E0.tmp
Description: The file C:\Documents and Settings\Christopher Massa\Local Settings\Temp\CC1E0.tmp is infected with the W32.Netsky.P@mm!enc virus.

masshole said:
But I dont know why Norton would say this:

Source: C:\DOCUME~1\CHRIST~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\ CC1E0.tmp

The only thing I can think of that would cause this to happen is that when Norton extracts the attached zip files to a temp directory for scanning, the file based portion of the scanner picks up on the .tmp files being generated during the extraction process.

Your not getting infected, Norton is simply doing its job.

During some Adware scans of client systems, AdAware will extract compressed files to the temp directory located under one's profile and Norton has picked up on infected files that way. Primarily the reason why I do AV scans prior to Adware scans.

SJConsultant said:
The only thing I can think of that would cause this to happen is that when Norton extracts the attached zip files to a temp directory for scanning, the file based portion of the scanner picks up on the .tmp files being generated during the extraction process.

Your not getting infected, Norton is simply doing its job.

During some Adware scans of client systems, AdAware will extract compressed files to the temp directory located under one's profile and Norton has picked up on infected files that way. Primarily the reason why I do AV scans prior to Adware scans.

Ahhh... makes good sense.

Thanks man.

Back