Issues with 5950 ultra!!! HELP!

Dude8383

n00b
My friend bought the asus version of the 5950 ultra. Its a top of the line video card and you would expect it to give you kick ass results... well its not so with this one.

The system is more than capable of handling the card.

P4 2.4ghz 800fsb
ASUS 875P P4C800-E DELUXE
1gb DDR Ram - Infineon

Now as for the problem. Games such as Black Hawk Down, NFS U, UT2003 & 2004 play pretty well but tend to stutter quite a bit. The games arent even set on their highest settings. Also another issue is that when playing any game, the video card makes strange noises that are in sync with how the game stutters...its really f'in weird. if any of u guys need a better description let me know. Anyways any help would be appreciated.

The version of XP would be least likely the cause of this problem right??

Windows XP has nothing to do with it. Make sure you have a good set of drivers. Not the crap the card came with. Make sure your AGP aperature size is set to 256MB in the BIOS, Make sure AGP 8x is enabled.

Next move onto the OS. Make sure that theres no unecessary programs in the startup menu or in system startup in the registry. You can check this with msconfig.

Make sure your ram is running in dual channel mode and that your ram is running with a ratio of !:!. These are all good optimizations that you should have done already. You can check your memory information with CPU-Z which can be downloaded off the web.

I also noticed that a friend of mine had a Ti4600 and was running UT2k4 and had some stuttering issues. To correct the problem we went back to older 45.23 drivers. That cleared the problem right up.

Hope this helps.

How's his power supply, could be on the weak side. My 5900 performed better when I put in a 480W PS.

he has a true 430 watt antec psu...more than enough to handle everything that hes got.

Back