Issue with games on Vista Ultimate

I've been having issues with various games with Vista Ultimate on my XPS-M1710. Often when I start games they pop up and I can hear the game music in the background but the screen remains black and then it minimizes the game kicking me back to the desktop. When I try to restore the game it just keeps doing it. I've tried updating my drivers and searching for anyone else who has/had this issue but I've had no luck so far. I can't get any games to work other than WoW only after opening and closing it over and over again. Maybe time to go back to XP?

It would be helpful if you could post the games you are having difficulty with.

There is your problem. WOW is evil.

On a serious note, I can get all of my games to work with vista ultimate.

This includes Bioshock, CSS, and TF2. BTW I realize 2 of the 3 are based on the same engine. It would help if you included some system specs and if you are using 32 bit or 64 bit. I use the 32 bit.

did you do a fresh install of vista or did you upgrade from XP?

i had a similar problem when i upgraded from media center, i fixed it by backing up all ym saved games and reinstalling my games.

first make sure you are on a clean install of Vista,

2nd get all the hotfixes that AREN'T on windows update. There are quite a few related to stability and gaming.

3rd, if you have an ATI card, get the latest drivers, do a CLEAN driver install. If that still doesn't work, try some beta drivers off guru3d... and if that still doesn't work... consider nvidia as their little problems are a lot more livable than ati drivers, not to mention they have beta's out every other day to address specific issues.

Back