Issue with a friends internet

ppilot

Weaksauce
Ok, I am having some issues trying to fix a friends internet. She is wired into a linksys wireless G router and cannot seem to connect to the internet even though her roomate can. I can release and renew the ip address with no problem and nothing seems wrong with any of the driver settings.

It is not IE because I installed Firefox with the same result. If somebody could give me some ideas it would be greatly appreciated. Let me know if you need any more info.

ok,

No firewall is presently active and the anti-virus is set on low. I hooked the laptop (Inspiron 4150) directly to the router, restarted the router and the computer a couple times just to make sure, but still nothing no active internet. Again this means I can release and renew the IP address, but still not get any connection through the browser. I tried reseting IE to the defaults and nothing works.

I am completely stumped right now

Try pinging her friends computer, make sure if it has a firewall that its off while you do that. If that works try pinging google or some other common website.

ICMP would be a different firewall rule than http traffic so pinging another computer on the same network may not tell you much. Doesn't hurt however and any information is valuable information.

First thing I'd do is determine that it is not a name resolution problem. Ping google.com. That probably won't work. Next ping a google.com IP ping 64.233.167.99
If that works it's DNS. If it doesn't then there is a firewall in place most likely.

What IP are you getting when you renew? Sure it's one your router is handing out?

Back