ISP and router question

DarkCyber

[H]ard|Gawd
Don't really know where to post this...so here goes.

My local telcom is now offering bundled services and it's cheaper for me to get bundled service that includes DSL than to not get bundled service.

Now to my question...they use a modem/router combo and the customer can't do anything to the router period. If you want to do anything...port forwarding or anything...you must contact the phone company and then they remotely connect and change it.

Is it just me or does this sound a little crazy...not letting the customer even have the opportunity to use their own router or configure theirs?

Anyone else having this problem with an isp?

DarkCyber said:
Is it just me or does this sound a little crazy...not letting the customer even have the opportunity to use their own router or configure theirs?

Seen similar problems with other ISPs.
Call them up and ask them to either forward all the ports to IP A, or put IP A in the DMZ, or turn off the firewall/router portion of the device.

Make IP A your router.

Good idea on the port forwarding or DMZ, but if they are that tight with not letting you control you own router...I doubt they would allow doing something like this that would bypass their router...but who knows...I'll ask :)

Buy your own DSL modem and router. That's what I do. You won't get support if you have issues with your modem or router, but you'll have complete control.

BollWeevil said:
Buy your own DSL modem and router. That's what I do. You won't get support if you have issues with your modem or router, but you'll have complete control.

If they allow that, it would be good. Some ISPs only allow their equipment on their network.

From their side it makes support and trouble shooting a lot easier. Rules out all types of incompatabilities as well as end user errors. Hell, it would cut down on the number of "Help me get my router online" threads in here if everyone did it.

You pretty much have two choices - use their equpiment and deal with them controlling it, or find a different ISP.

Wow! I called and talked to the head of the internet department (I know him) and he said they had run into this problem several times and decided to setup their routers with a default DMZ. They set it up with one of the private ip's as a DMZ routing all traffice first to that ip...so I can hook up my router behind theirs. :D

Back