Is Windows XP tied to your motherboard?

J87X

Limp Gawd
I want to move my hd with XP oem builders edition or whatever to my new comp. Can I just re-varify it or will they make it unusable since it will be a new mobo?

OEM licenses are non-transferrable. They are valid only on the first machine on which they are installed.

Legally they are tied to the motherboard. But there's nothing stopping you from changing the motherboard and/or hard drive and reinstalling it. I've done it numerous times.

I loaded a dell windows xp professional disk onto a compaq computer and had to call them to reactivate I then installed that hard drive into a barebones system and I cannot recall whether or not I had t call MS but it has been working fine for like a year.

I would give it a shot, I doubt there is anything you could lose if you couldn't get them to give you an activation code for the new machine. You might just have to buy a new OS disk for the new machine.

That being said I'm pretty sure that it will work fine and the worst that will happen is you'll have to go through the activation process over the phone.

I have never even heard of someone being denied an activation code as long as they said the mobo no longer functioned. Even for the OEM versions they usually only ask if the OS is installed on only one PC, and then give you an activation code.

But technically, it is against the UELA to use an OEM copy on any PC other than the one it was first installed or shipped on. Provided that, that pc is still functional.

A screwdriver jammed multiple times through a mobo causes it to no longer function.

Will I have a problem with the new hardware if I just transfer the drive and not reinstall since it will be different hardware? Could I just run repair or something?

Will I have a problem with the new hardware if I just transfer the drive and not reinstall since it will be different hardware? Could I just run repair or something?

You could try sysprep and follow up with a repair install. It often works but not always. Additionally, it could cause you odd problems here and there down the road with the install. Generally, with a mobo and cpu change a clean install is the best option.

Back