Is VIA an option?

AceCurby99

n00b
Hey all...

I'm gonna be building a HTPC and I was considering using a VIA setup due to its small size and quiet running potential. I have a few concerns though and I was hoping I could find some answers here. Besides the typical uses of a HTPC, I want to be able to do some photo editing on my new big plasma using Photoshop and a few other not-so-powerful photo editing apps. I've been reading on the forums here and checking out reviews, but I just can't seem to nail down which VIA setup would be the best for my needs. I need suggestions...also, I've been reading about thie epiOS and seeing that it seems to run the HT side of things better than Win...any ideas on whether Photoshop will run on it and how good it will do? Thanks.

From what little i do know, i dont think a VIA cpu would be powerful enough to even provide smooth HD play back.......

photoshop likes ram, but loves a CPU when you start putting in alot of filters.

If you're trying to do photo editing, dont go with VIA. Not enough horsepower, for that matter as someone already said it may not have enough power for HD playback even.

Video playback is not a problem, since some VIA boards have a built-in hardware MPEG2 decoder. Photo editing though, not a snowball's chance in hell. I suggest looking at a Shuttle.

So long as your video content is MPEG2, this is correct... Photoshop will drag, but whatever, its not like it won't work.

The C7 chips have been shown to play back Mpeg4 (divx/xvi/etc) content well enough. H.264 is another story, but not much can do that well... At least currently, its a non-issue.

The mini-itx boards are extremely popular for us linux folks running mythtv. They get the job done, and they do it quietly.

Squash

Back