• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

is turbo not working???

cannondale06

[H]F Junkie
Joined
Nov 27, 2007
Messages
16,180
I am using that tool from Intel to see if turbo is working but my cpu never goes over 3.30. I tried games and Intel burn test but 3.30 is as high as it will go. I have turbo on in the bios so what am I missing here???
 
Last edited:
I would turn off all the powersaving and thermalsettings in the bios, what is your temp for the cpu like?
 
I would turn off all the powersaving and thermalsettings in the bios, what is your temp for the cpu like?
if I have to turn off everything just to make turbo work then something is not right. temps are in the 50s and 60s even during burn test so that is not it.
 
ok enabling "adjust cpu ratio in OS" in the BIOS seems to allow some turbo now but something is still not right. with all fours core it will now go to 3.4 like its supposed but it does not do 3.5 for 2 cores, 3.6 for 2 cores or 3.7 for 1 core. with anything less than 4 cores it drops back to 3.3 and stays there.

EDIT: well now it gets even stranger. I reset the the BIOS to optimized defaults and now it will go to 3.6 but still not 3.7. to be exact it will do 3.6 for 1 core, 3.5 for 2 cores, and 3.4 for 3 or 4 cores. wtf? good grief why cant this turbo just work right?
 
Last edited:
EDIT: well now it gets even stranger. I reset the the BIOS to optimized defaults and now it will go to 3.6 but still not 3.7. to be exact it will do 3.6 for 1 core, 3.5 for 2 cores, and 3.4 for 3 or 4 cores. wtf? good grief why cant this turbo just work right?

Turbo isn't guaranteed. There must be a reason it won't reach the top turbo, probably because you got a badly binned part and the last turbo level gets out of TDP.
 
Turbo isn't guaranteed. There must be a reason it won't reach the top turbo, probably because you got a badly binned part and the last turbo level gets out of TDP.
I find that pretty hard to believe though. these Sandy Bridge cpus do not even come close to using their TDP. heck even shutting off all but one core from the BIOS still does not let it turbo to 3.7. and you know that a single core of Sandy Bridge cannot be using more than about 15-20 watts.
 
The problem that you experienced is all too typical. (That is, it applies to everybody who uses an Asus, MSI, Gigabyte or any other brand of LGA 1155 motherboard besides Intel.) Intel is the only motherboard brand whose Turbo mode in LGA 1155 motherboards works correctly.
 
The problem that you experienced is all too typical. (That is, it applies to everybody who uses an Asus, MSI, Gigabyte or any other brand of LGA 1155 motherboard besides Intel.) Intel is the only motherboard brand whose Turbo mode in LGA 1155 motherboards works correctly.
well I have been searching a lot and have seen others with similar issues but the vast majority of people seem to have it working from what I can tell. so are you saying this happened for you too though?
 
Since you have a K model just overclock the piss out of it.

I would make sure that you have C1E enabled. It may be some weird fluke with that. Or lastly update your mobo bios to the latest and greatest.
 
Since you have a K model just overclock the piss out of it.

I would make sure that you have C1E enabled. It may be some weird fluke with that. Or lastly update your mobo bios to the latest and greatest.
I will overclock later down the road. C1E is enabled and I do have the latest official BIOS and chipset drivers.
 
I will overclock later down the road. C1E is enabled and I do have the latest official BIOS and chipset drivers.

Hrmm.... turbo not working. Did you try CPUZ (CPUID) to watch the clocks?

This will rule out if it is the chip or the mobo. Do you have another mobo or a friend that has an 1155 board? Ask them or if you have one install the CPU and then see what happens. Worth a shot. You might have a bad motherboard. I know intel extensively test their CPU's before releasing them for sale. That is why brand new CPUs still have some little wear spots on all the CPU pin lands or whatever they are called.
 
Hrmm.... turbo not working. Did you try CPUZ (CPUID) to watch the clocks?

This will rule out if it is the chip or the mobo. Do you have another mobo or a friend that has an 1155 board? Ask them or if you have one install the CPU and then see what happens. Worth a shot. You might have a bad motherboard. I know intel extensively test their CPU's before releasing them for sale. That is why brand new CPUs still have some little wear spots on all the CPU pin lands or whatever they are called.
yes I am watching it with CPU-Z. no other mobo and nobody I know has 1155.
 
Windows 7 typically has 500+ threads running at any given time. You can check this with the Task Manager. My system is showing 800+ threads at the moment with only Google Chrome open with two tabs going. When you are running a single threaded benchmark, these threads need to be constantly processed and will wake up an additional core or cores on a regular basis. The multiplier can be changing hundreds of times a second depending on how many cores are in the active state so CPU-Z shows you a rounded off value for the multiplier that is designed for consistent validation purposes. If you want to see the average multiplier that each thread is running at then try running i7 Turbo GT. It's available in the RealTemp download here:

http://www.mediafire.com/?jibd769x6z7n0c8

The best way to see the highest possible average multiplier is to run a single thread of a benchmark like Prime95 and then use the Task Manager Set Affinity... option to lock Prime95 to a single thread of your CPU. Using high performance timers within the CPU, i7 Turbo GT will be able to determine a very accurate average multiplier for each thread. The method it uses is based on the November 2008 Intel Turbo White Paper. CPU-Z has decided to modify this method.

To get more than a +1 Turbo Boost you will need to have C3 or C6 enabled in the bios so the idle cores can go to sleep and allow the remaining working core or cores to use more bins of turbo boost.
 
Last edited:
The problem that you experienced is all too typical. (That is, it applies to everybody who uses an Asus, MSI, Gigabyte or any other brand of LGA 1155 motherboard besides Intel.) Intel is the only motherboard brand whose Turbo mode in LGA 1155 motherboards works correctly.

I'm not saying you are wrong at all, but rather I simply don't understand what you are saying. Are you saying that all those different brand of boards aren't capable of implementing turbo boost properly, in that they have some kind of defect/aren't high enough quality/etc? Or that turbo boost is simply poorly designed/engineered and therefore only works on Intel brand boards? I have a hard time believing that boards from plenty of quality of manufacturers are unable to keep up to spec with Intel.

Sorry if my question seems ignorant or sarcastic, I don't mean to come across that way. I just honestly haven't really done much research into intels turbo boost technology, as I have always just opted to go the overclocking route instead and forgo using turbo boost. But I am curious as to your statement and as to why there would be such a common problem/short coming with the technology. Is it really that poorly implemented?

Hopefully someone will give me a good explanation, I've very curious to find out. :) Thanks.
 
The problem that you experienced is all too typical. (That is, it applies to everybody who uses an Asus, MSI, Gigabyte or any other brand of LGA 1155 motherboard besides Intel.) Intel is the only motherboard brand whose Turbo mode in LGA 1155 motherboards works correctly.

Hrrm my turbo seems to be working ... lets see...

Yup 4.8 ghz when loaded and 1600mhz when resting.

Works fine on my Asus.
 
I turned off turbo in bios. Also is it really that big of a deal that you can get up to 3.6Ghz instead of 3.7Ghz. I mean .1Ghz isn't something you will notice.
 
I turned off turbo in bios. Also is it really that big of a deal that you can get up to 3.6Ghz instead of 3.7Ghz. I mean .1Ghz isn't something you will notice.
did you not read through the thread and see the nonsense I had to go through just to do that though? I just wanted this system to work properly and it was not. anyway I think I will just turn turbo off and go 4.0 or so with power saving features enabled so it will still drop to 1.6.
 
Back
Top