Is this switch any good?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hyt3k9

2[H]4U
I was looking at this switch. I am planning moving my gear over to rackmount gear, and I need to get a switch capable of handling 12+ ports. This one also have 2 GigE ports, which might come in handy. A GigE switch with 12+ ports is out of my budget range.

Anyway, please shoot me some comments on this one. I am planning on getting a Cisco 2500-2600 series router soon to go with this. Are there other rackmount switches I should also be considering? I want to keep the price at or lower than $125 shipped.

TIA! :)

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I don't like the misrepresentation (while Linksys is now under Cisco, this switch clearly ISN'T Cisco). How ever I personally have a SR224 (similar but missing the 2 gig-e ports). Personally I liked it and when my previous one got shocked to death Linksys cross shipped a new one to me (thanks to a limited lifetime warranty).

So this isn't a bad switch then, for the price? (I know it is Linksys.. and that is why I am asking if it is good or not) I just need something to start out with, but don't want to waste my money.

As long as I don't need anything fancy, a switch is just a switch right? I mean, are there reasons to buy more expensive ones besides the warranty and name brand?

More comments.... :D

So this isn't a bad switch then, for the price? (I know it is Linksys.. and that is why I am asking if it is good or not) I just need something to start out with, but don't want to waste my money.

As long as I don't need anything fancy, a switch is just a switch right? I mean, are there reasons to buy more expensive ones besides the warranty and name brand?

More comments.... :D

No a switch is definitely is "just a switch". Different switches come with different features. Some allow VLAN's...some done. Some are managed switches, some aren't. Some switches do routing(L3).

I'm assuming that your budget is a personal budget. If this if for a company, I would recommend whoever approves the budget to allocate you some more funding.

We use the SRW line where I work, yeah, a more expensive switch would be nice, but we're small (16 employees) so I don't really need anything better. I've also deployed these at quite a few of our customer's sites. In our office we have an SRW2024 and an SRW2024P(for IP Phones). Overall the switches do what I need, sure they arn't layer 3 but they do support VLAN's if you wanted/needed them. I have yet to have an issue with these switches.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back