Is this sufficient?

m3guy168

n00b
I was planning to buy a system for the first time in quite a few years. I want to be able to play most to all types of videos. Also I need to be able to play a fairly old game known as Anarchy-Online. I don't quite care for BR or HD DVD. I want to put everything into a fairly small box as well. Right now I am looking at buying the SG 02 Plastic/Steel case, an e8400, 2 or 4 gb of DDR-800 ram, ASUS P5E-VM and a video card (probably an 8800 GT) I have more than enough storage at the moment. Is this sufficient/ overkill / just right? Thank you for any input

well 8800gt is good for gaming, but really its a waste of $150 if your only watching movie and te like

That is extreme overkill and a total waste of money if you only plan to do the things you mentioned. I just put together a system for a customer with these old parts:

AMD 3200 single core
2GB DDR
X850XT

old power supply motherboard HD yada yada. Anyways, it ran HD and BR flawlessly at 720p, which means it'll have zero issues running any other videos. The only game he wanted to be able to play was Ultima Online, and it obviously ran that with no issues. So if you buy some low end C2D with an HD capable modern video card and 2GB DDR2 you will come out way cheaper and blow his system away.

Hope this helps, and be sure to read avs.com home theater section for lots more tips and builds. Good luck!

Ok, since I can more or less cut out the video card. Is there an onboard solution to do full 1080p decoding yet? I am not going to buy old parts for a computer and the parts I have aren't really new enough to build something that can play HD formats.

look up some of the AMD 780g MB's, they should do everything you want and then some. M-ATX or ATX, HDMI out with sound passthrough. Almost any decent CPU you stick in there will be able to do 1080p.

Thanks for the advice. Is there an equivalent motherboard to the 780g that supports Intel processors?

Thanks for the advice. Is there an equivalent motherboard to the 780g that supports Intel processors?
No. If you want to use an UGP then the only game in town is AMD; Intel has some really crappy-moderately okay options but none of them can compare to a 780G (and in some cases NV's old 6150; NV's new 7000 Intel series mobos are just god damn terrible).

Back