Is this how a wireless access point is supposed to work? quick question

+Plague+

Limp Gawd
Well I just setup a router and a netgear access point, and it was fairly easy. However, the router and the access point come up as different wireless networks, which both work perfectly.

Is this how a access point works? Or do I need to tweak the settings to make the access point somehow come up as the router, so that I dont need to switch between the access point and router networks.

if you only want to be connecting to the access point just disable the wireless on the router unless you want both of them up?

i want both of them to be up, so I am assuming that when I am downstairs (where my Access point is located) I will need to disconnect from the router and connect to the access point. Is this the way to do it? Is there any way for me not to have to alternate between the two?

Why do you have both a wireless router and an AP? You could just use the wireless router. So, I'm a little confused as to why you would want both. Better wireless coverage perhapes?

In any case, if you set both wireless networks to the exact same SSID and network encryption then which ever singal is stronger is the one the computer will connect to.

Do you not have sufficient coverage from just the router or just the AP that you need to use both?

Just set up your computer/laptop/whatever to automatically connect to either. It'll connect to the other when it gets out of range of the first.

yea, my house some bad insulation and i cant reach my router from downstairs

I will have a dell 966 printer installed on the wireless router. Will I have any issues with the access point? Will I have to take any extra steps?

you need to have the same SSID and channel.

it should go

wireless router > wire to upstairs > access point (dhcp turned off, IP in same range).

same wireless ssid, same security, and same channel.

that way you can move from upstairs to downstairs and it will join the highest signal

There are two schools of thought on same or different channels. I've always had much better reception putting access points on different channels and at least 2 or 3 channels apart (you should really use channels 1,6, and 11). Try it both ways though.

SSID should be the same all around however.

http://www.uga.edu/netinfo/standards/wireless.html

Back