Is this enough ???

KamaL

n00b
Hi guys....

I'm new to all the wireless world... I have a desktop pc and a notebook... I'm interested in buying a wireless router, connecting the desktop pc to it, and use the notebook for wireless networking, such as surfing the internet, and transferring files between both of them...

I don't want to invest a big amount of money, because I won't use it that much, and during long periods I won't use the wireless connection at all...
Our house is a big one, consisting of 3 floors, so I'm aware that I'm surely not going to get good coverage through all the house without buying extra access points...

All I want is this: I will put the router near the desktop PC in a room, and I will use the notebook in the floor just under that room, so that the distance between the router and notebook wont exceed the 10-15 meters, and only the ceiling will separate between them...

I also don't care that much about security issues and stuff, since I'm quite sure no one in my neighbourhood has any wireless device... so a basic router will be enough...

Do you think that buying a basic router will be enough for this purpose?? Do u think I will be able to surf the net decently on the notebook, and transfer files between both PCs at decent speed?? I don't pretend too much, but at least surfing decently is obligatory...

Regarding the routers I've considered, there is the EDIMAX BR6114WG and the 3Com® OfficeConnect® 3CRWE554G72T ... Both of them cost something like 100$ here in Israel, and are among the most affordable ones...

What do you think???? Is This possible according to your personal experience??

Thanks in advance... :)

It's really impossible to say Yes this will work or No it won't given your setup. It depends on so many factors, such as the interoperability and performance between your and client wireless card, the amount of saturation on the spectrum (i.e. if there are a lot of other wireless users in your neighborhood), and the propogation of RF through your walls (concrete walls block RF much more than wood).

So the only thing you can do is give it a try and see what works for you. You can always add a higher gain antenna to the router if you're having signal quality problems. I would guess what you have picked out should work fine for your situation. Put the router up high like on a shelf and leave it unobstructed.

Know this is a touchy subject, but your family wasn't one that was forced to move were you?

Thanx for the reply... I think I really have to try it and see what happens...

BollWeevil said:
Know this is a touchy subject, but your family wasn't one that was forced to move were you?

nope... why u asking this???

Well you said you were from Israel, and I've been following the Gaza developments, but was curious to hear a viewpoint of someone there rather than the standard American corporate media.

Back