Is there any way to make ALL connections work thru a proxy?

Nom Anor

Limp Gawd
how can i make ALL my internett connections (not just browsers) work thru a proxy?

currently i need to make World of Warcraft work thru a proxy, because my ISP connection is ungodly laggy for some reason, and when i use a proxy (in browser) everything is very fast. i guess it bypasses some congested point.

so, how is it done? (i'm using an ADSL connection)

Probably won't work. You're not going to find anywhere that's going to proxy your WoW connection for free.

The only way it would be faster is if the combined latency to your 'proxy' + from your proxy to WoW servers was less than the latency between you and WoW directly via your isp.

Run a tracert to the WoW servers and see where along the line the response time spikes.

Probably won't work. You're not going to find anywhere that's going to proxy your WoW connection for free.

I already have a fast proxy service. Just need a way to set up all outgoing connection thru it.

Run a tracert to the WoW servers and see where along the line the response time spikes.
And then what? My ISP wont do anthing about it anyway.

how can i make ALL my internett connections (not just browsers) work thru a proxy?

currently i need to make World of Warcraft work thru a proxy, because my ISP connection is ungodly laggy for some reason, and when i use a proxy (in browser) everything is very fast. i guess it bypasses some congested point.

so, how is it done? (i'm using an ADSL connection)

I don't think you can just "Proxy" WOW, because it requires certain ports. Unless WOW allows their services to be tunneled through HTTP.

As far as your proxy working faster in browser, it just maybe the proxy has a cache system, and maybe on the proxy server itself it on the internet's backbone to retrieve your webpages for you.

I already have a fast proxy service. Just need a way to set up all outgoing connection thru it.

And then what? My ISP wont do anthing about it anyway.

Why not? If the spike is at one of their edge routers they should. If its outside their network then there isn't anything you can do. More information == more gooder; if you know exactly where the problem is you have a better shot at working around it.

I don't think you can just "Proxy" WOW, because it requires certain ports. Unless WOW allows their services to be tunneled through HTTP.

probably not because i think the game, like most online games, uses UDP.

surely its down to the individual application to be responsible for whether it works through a proxy or not? i'm not aware of a system wide setting that is able to point all network communication via a proxy? unless setting your default gateway to be the ip address of the proxy would work, but i seriously doubt it as that is the setting for the router on the network. the only configuration options for a proxy that i've seen are within a browser. even then i've seen web based applications have applets within them that require direct communication from the host and not via the proxy. it's a pita because every time an app comes along like this i have to give a machine that requires access to it a static address and poke it through the firewall. grrr!

Some firewalls do transparent proxying of all connections. So setting the gateway to the proxy server would do to make all connections go through that.

Most proxys though don't speed up those other connections (FTP, SMTP, WoW, etc) because most proxys are used for one of two things. Caching which caches static web pages, which allows for them to load faster. I go to www.somewhere.org, the proxy takes a snapshot of the pages I look at. You go to www.somewhere.org, the proxy hands you the snapshots it took. When you hit a page that I didn't look at on www.somewhere.org the proxy goes and takes a snapshot of that page, and holds it.

The other thing that proxies do is watch where people are going and either report or block where they are trying to go. Sometimes both.

So I am not sure that using the proxy will speed up your WoW game.

The other thing that proxies do is watch where people are going and either report or block where they are trying to go. Sometimes both.

That's alright, the proxy admins will catch all the pr0n and be too busy looking at them.

Back