Is the LSI 9265 raid card compatible with Asus P9X79 Pro MB?

Webberson

Weaksauce
I have the P9X79 Pro motherboard and would like to add this card, but would like to know if it's compatible or if someone has tried this combination.

Anybody have this combination? Also, is there an Areca card that is equal to this in performance (and is compatible with the P9X79 Pro MB) ?

no one know, until someone tries to use any/LSI Raid card on this motherboard:)

on my side, my LSI/Adaptec/HP raid card works on gigabyte 990FXA-UD5 by disabling onboard SATA ,

I was hoping I wouldn't have to be the guinea pig as the card plus drives adds up to a large sum.

I left a question for LSI technical support. I will see:
1) if they even answer
2) if they have tested this combination
3) if it's compatible

I left a question for LSI tech support. I got an automated response that I would get an answer in 48 hours. It has been two times that and still no answer.

I also left a similar question for Areca tech support and got an answer in about 5 hours. In fact, I got a different person that answered the same question after about 7 hours.

I think I will be buying the Areca card instead of the LSI card.

In our R&D lab, I have installed both an LSI 9265 and a 9211 (all software options like fastpath, etc) on an Asus P9X79 Pro. Although nothing more than two SSD's were attached and had the OS installed in RAID0, everything appeared to work correctly. The OS installation is the most we test on these RAID cards as it's only for firmware compatibility testing. We don't test performance as a whole for general testing.

On my own "fun" testing, the the 9265 with fastpath seems to perform on par if not better than the Areca 1880ix with 4GB cache using "SSD's". I have not tested with spinner HD's on these cards, although I heard the Areca does better with spinner HD's than the LSI simply because the large amount of cache. Have not yet received the newer Areca 1882 models with the dual ROC's. I assume it will be pretty dang fast as the single ROC 1880 is already pretty dang fast, expecially with 4GB cache.

Thought I'd as an FYI: Our P9X79 Pro MB died within one week. Sound chip and USB ports quit working correctly. It was a nice board other than the dying part...

One more FYI, the standard 1880i with onboard 512 cache and no expansion RAM slot is not anywhere near as impressive in performance as its' bigger brothers with lots of cache... The 1880 Areca's love cache.

Last edited:
Thanks so much. This was the type of info I was looking for. Now I am torn between two cards:
LSI 9265 with FastPath
Areca 1882i with 4GB cache

Looks like the LSI is about $200 cheaper. I am leaning toward the Areca because I'll be using spinners for a while. Do you think there will be a performance advantage to the more expensive Areca?

Unfortunately, I haven't tested the Areca 188"2" yet. I can only assume it's faster than the 1880 simply because it's a dual ROC versus a single ROC. I have also never tested the LSI's or the Areca's with spinners, just SSD's. I "heard" the Areca's with 4GB cache were better with spinners, simply because of the large cache. Since the read off spinners is a lot slower than SSD's it would make sense that more cache is better with spinners in pure benchmark performance, but I really can't advise you, especially with the 188"2" series. I know the LSI kicks ass with SSD's, but that doesn't help you if you're planning on spinners. Sorry.

I don't think fastpath is necessary on the 9265 until you get more than 4 SSDs and start breaking 150K IOPS.

xer0,
When you did your testing of the LSI cards, did you disable the SATA support on the motherboard or can you still use the onboard SATA support for optical drives, etc...

TIA

I did not try it in many configurations, however there is no reason you should have to disable anything to do with the MB's SATA ports. There is no reason you can't use those ports for anything you'd like at the same time as having the LSI in the system.

I did not try it in many configurations, however there is no reason you should have to disable anything to do with the MB's SATA ports. There is no reason you can't use those ports for anything you'd like at the same time as having the LSI in the system.

please try on gigabyte mobo (desktop mobo), :)
on my case:
the only way to make raid/HBA works is by disabling onboard SATA.
int 13 conflict.. where the BIOS does not like add-on sata/sas cards

Back